A new arrival from Zürich!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Happy Friday everyone! This week was a fortuitous one, as my Leu win arrived in the post. I had quite a fun time trying to open it, so make sure to check out the video at the end ;)

It’s a weird feeling to have so early on in my numismatic collecting, but I feel like I may have just peaked with this coin. It is, to me at least, perfect in every way, and I wonder if I will ever find another coin I fancy as much as this one.

Diva Faustina Senior, died 140/1.Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.71 g, 6 h), Rome. DIVA FAVSTINA Diademed and draped bust of Diva Faustina to right. Rev.AVGVSTA Wreath on draped throne against which rests transverse scepter. BMC 454. Cohen 131. RIC 377. Beautifully toned. Virtually as struck.

1291F284-EF9C-4E8C-B30D-7E91A9B6BAE9.jpeg C8AB6070-EBB8-4283-B53F-C748561B5135.jpeg

First coin I photographed and video recorded with the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, no editing! Really happy with how the images turned out.

Bonus Video
    I always video record when I open a coin in case of damage. This time though, I decided to share as it was quite an odyssey. The gods really must have wanted me to work to get this coin :hilarious:

Please post anything you want! :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice addition. Very sharp details on Faustina's hairstyle.
    Cool video as well.

Roman Collector and Restitutor like this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Here is my Faustina I with quite clear hairstyle. Need to locate the photo of the reverse design though...
    zz-Faustina01Mag.jpg

5. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Wow!! The detail in her hair especially the pearls are incredible! Quite the show stopper :) That’s always the selling point for me with the Faustina I coins.

+VGO.DVCKS and happy_collector like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coin @Restitutor . That was quite the epic struggle with that cardboard holder. Glad you prevailed! :blackeye::D

Lovely toning on your new coin. A very worthy addition to any second century collection.

I’ll post my much loved temple coins of Faustina.
    C71EA90D-1399-4987-8830-87A8E9E22C3B.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Diva Faustina I (Died ca. AD 141)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck after AD 141
    Obv.: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA; bust right, hair elaborately styled.
    Rev.: DEDICATIO AEDIS; Hexa-style Temple of the Divine Faustina showing podium, statues etc.
    Ref.: RIC III 388, Rare

53CF3741-81D9-40FD-8EC4-BE1606523A8B.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Diva Faustina (died AD 141)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck after AD 141
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.25 g
    Obv.: DIVA FAVSTINA; Draped bust right
    Rev.: AED DIV FAVSTINAE; Hexastyle temple, cult statue of Faustina inside
    Ref.: RIC 343
    Ex J.B. Collection (Edmonton), Acquired in Edmonton in Spring 2002; Ex AMCC 2, Lot 153 (Nov. 9, 2019)

7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Restitutor, the goldy (British usage) toning on that is especially stunning.

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I do love a nice Faustina I! That's a lovely coin, @Restitutor! Gorgeous!

Here's my humbler example, with the obverse legend broken as DIVA FAV-STINA, which doesn't affect the catalog number:

[​IMG]
    Faustina Senior, AD 138-140.
    Roman AR Denarius, 17.6 mm, 3.71 g, 6 h.
    Rome mint, AD 150 and later.
    Obv: DIVA FAV-STINA, diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: AVGV-STA, scepter leaning against draped throne upon which wreath sits.
    Refs: RIC III 377; BMCRE 455; Cohen/RSC 131; Strack 484; RCV 4590; CRE 143.

Draft saved Draft deleted