A New Addition to my Collection - 1802 Draped Bust Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The year 1802 is normally not a year a focus on when it comes to early U.S copper, preferring to focus on the earlier issues. I did, however, decide to make an exception for this particular coin, and having it now in-hand has confirmed this decision.

The pictures capture as best as I am able the actual appearance and color of the coin.
    Copper is notoriously difficult to image well! Some surface marks are present as seen, but the obverse shows nice, smooth surfaces and color, while the reverse is less uniform as far as color is concerned.
    Both sides are free of any corrosion or verdigris.

Your comments are much appreciated.

1802 Cent Obv2-1  - 1.jpg 1802 Cent S-238- Rev5 - 1.jpg 1802 Cent S-238- Rev5-Close-Up - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I will keep my commentary short and to the point:

WOW!

Eduard likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nice. Condition is excellent, and it is a scarce variety as well. S-238 either Die Stage I or II Now an R-4, used to be R-5 and is the scarcest of the Sheldon numbered varieties for this year. (The NC's are rarer of course) Quite possibly in the condition census. The variety has a low CC with the CC1 coin being a VF-30 coin.

Eduard likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Very nice indeed.

Eduard likes this.
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for your comments, and thank you, Conder, for confirming the die state.
    I was hesitating between state II and III, but see now it cannot be state III as it lacks the cracks atop 'STATES' which Breen describes.

I was excited when I saw this coin and verified the variety. The original pictures were not very good, so it was a bit of a gamble but I am glad I went for it.
    In-hand the coin is actually better.

From what I have read about S-238 the best known examples are, as you mention, VF30.

These two, I believe, are considered to be at the top of the CC:

ex Reynolds:
    1802 S-238 Cent-  REYNOLDS - Noyes:Bland both CC1. VF30- Goldbergs Jan 2016 - $6145-OBV.jpg 1802 S-238 Cent-  REYNOLDS - Noyes:Bland both CC1. VF30- Goldbergs Jan 2016 - $6145-REV.jpg

ex Sheldon and Naftzger, (also Holmes?):
    Holmes 1802 Draped Bust S-238-VF30 CC1- Obv.jpg
    Holmes 1802 Cent S-238. VF30 CC1-Rev.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Of all America's Liberties, the Draped Busts are my favorite. Those are some lovely coppers.

All of the high grade DB cents I've handled personally were, believe it or not, local detector finds dug by my friends. In certain places around here, the soil was much kinder to them than usual. Several 1798 S-166 examples with the telltale reverse die break have been found, and a really sharp 1798/7 as well. Those are just the ones I know of.

17981cAUdetails-obvbefore.jpg

17981cAUdetails-revbefore.jpg

I have heard rumors of 1794 Liberty Cap cents in that kind of condition being found on an island near here ... and I believe them.

TypeCoin971793 and Eduard like this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I like the Draped Busts too, (as a matter of fact, I like all early U.S copper:)).

That is an incredible find, LordM, and in supper condition for a ground find -
    That S-166 looks just fantastic.

I too found an S-166 (in a dealers tray ca. 1986 at London - Coinex for 20-25 pounds...) Not quite as good as the one you show, plus somebody tried to decapitate her.....)

1798 Cent S-166- OBV - 1.jpg 1798 Cent S-166- REV - 1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted