A New Addition from CNG 477

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago I won the scarce follis of Galerius pictured below from CNG 477 :happy:. Despite the doubling on the reverse the coin is in excellent condition with a trace of silvering, Galerius sports a handsome portrait & the coin is heavy for the type. I believe only Galerius & Constantius I, of the original Tetrarchy, issued this coin type in the large size follis. Maximian issued this coin type, post abdication, in a slightly smaller version, & that coin type is rare & expensive. Several years ago I scored a gem-grade example of this coin type picturing Constantius I, posted below.

CNG 477, Lot 617 (3).jpg
    Galerius as Augustus, AD 305-311 (struck circa AD 305), Ticinum Mint, 1st Officina, Billon Follis: 29 mm, 11.54 gm, 6 h. RIC VI, 55b. Ex Benito Collection.
    Photo courtesy of CNG

Constantius as Augustus, Ticinum (2).jpg

panzerman, dlhill132, singig and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Mine looks the same as your Galerius above. The reverse is different though. I have mine attributed to Maximinus II. Help please. Am I wrong?
    Maximinus II Obv RQ.jpg Maximinus II Rev RQ.jpg

panzerman, dlhill132, singig and 8 others like this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Al , both are awsome.

Also from the Ticinum mint, a more common Galerius as Caesar:

P1180760 Galerius.JPG

5. Al Kowsky

Inspector43, Your coin is a follis of Maximinus II picturing Sol on the reverse, Rome Mint, 4th Officina, struck AD 312- 313 :D. What a shame someone went crazy trying to clean the coin :eek:.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Andres2, That's a lovely looking follis of Galerius as Caesar :D.

Andres2 likes this.
  7. Inspector43

I appreciate your comment about cleaning. Yes, it could be better. But, I am a 77 year old amateur and all the coins in my ancient collection have been cleaned by me. I don't seek out fine examples to purchase and display. I think I am getting better as time goes on. I will do some touch up on this one. Plus, I think it looks much better than as found as shown below.
    200914135029287.jpg 200914135039981.jpg

panzerman, dlhill132, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Inspector43, Your coin was nearly unrecognizable before cleaning :jawdrop:! In light of that what you uncovered is remarkable ;). The less abrasion you can use to clean a coin the better :cool:.

dlhill132 and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Inspector43

Thank you. I am still learning and only want uncleaned coins. I appreciate any help.

10. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Terrific purchase @Al Kowsky ! It’s rather difficult to find tetrarchic folles in that condition (well at least in my experience o_O)... Your Constantius is phenomenal! I recently won a Constantius follis in CNG 115, though it is from a different mint and not as perfect as yours.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Great folles.
    Maximianus from Aquileia
    image.jpg
    Constantius I from Ticinum
    image(1).jpg

Edessa, panzerman, dlhill132 and 6 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The problem I see here is cleaning extremely can muddle the ID of the coin. In this case I read IMP MAX____NVSPFAVG. In the gap is either IMI or IMIA but what I believe was the M was cut down the middle making it hard to read. I believe IMI is correct but, if the A was erased, the coin was Galerius. The ID of the MAX coins is always a stumbling point for new collectors. My page:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/max.html

dlhill132 likes this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new acquisition! It's lovely.

14. Al Kowsky

gogili1977, Thanks for posting :D. Your Maximianus follis has an unusually nice reverse of Fides :). I notice your Constantius I follis has a dot in the right field like my two coins. Does anyone know the significance of the dot o_O?

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That is a beautifull example, Al:D Great portrait of Galerius!
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted