A Neat Little Error on a Franklin Half

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Apr 1, 2020.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Here is a Benjamin Franklin 90% silver half dollar struck with a slag inclusion on the "B" of LIBERTY on the obverse. (It also retained unlike most other examples of slag that leads to improper bonding and laminations.)

What makes it especially neat is that not only is it retained, but it is now part of the lettering and on the obverse of the coin which is more desirable. (It was a gift for photographing a friend's collection.)

What is "slag?" Slag refers to leftover impurities that were not removed from a metallic mixture during the smelting process; it is usually black or dark brown. Sometimes slag remains included in planchet metal and can wind up being struck by the dies.

Notice on the reverse on the bottom between the letters "L" and "F" in the word HALF there appears to be damage in the form of a bump; it's actually the opposite side of the slag inclusion.

Also below is a 1945-P war nickel with a slag inclusion that caused a lamination error (in case you missed my stand-alone post on it a few days ago).

Enjoy! ~Joe Cronin
    Screenshot_20200401-171119~2.png FB_IMG_1585775454443.jpg Screenshot_20200401-171129~2.png FB_IMG_1585776373238.jpg FB_IMG_1585776369043.jpg FB_IMG_1585776377753.jpg

furryfrog02, paddyman98 and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Interesting. If it was slag, would that mean it was on the planchet before being struck, as there wouldn't be "slag" in the minting facility?

4. JCro57

Yes. It was on the planchet metal before striking....i think...

Update: see my comments below

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah, that's about all I could figure would happen in the process. In 1963, was the mint buying or making their own planchets? I could see slag being on a sheet prior to being punched into planchets.

6. JCro57

Actually, Mike Diamond just told me it is more likely a struck-in and retained metallic fragment/debris.

He states slag is too hard and brittle to take the form from die markings and that slag would be flush with the planchet.

Thanks, Mike!

alurid likes this.
  7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

It looks like the reeded rim of the coin has a tiny swelled out place in this area and if it is I would venture to say that this may have got done outside of the mint.

8. JCro57

Nope. Sorry.

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

After going back for a closer look it looks like it may be a tiny glob of something sticking on the coins surface .

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

This would take it out of the planchet flaw group of errors, correct?

11. JCro57

It is not a planchet preparation error, correct.

alurid likes this.
  12. JCro57

Gee.....ya think? Thanks, Capt. Obvious.

13. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Glad to be of help

Draft saved Draft deleted