A naked coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Feb 18, 2020.

1. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

I was exchanging coins with a friend and I took this interesting and rare coin, but unfortunately, the previous owner took off the patina, but, its still a beautiful coin..
    DIVUS AUGUSTUS, restitution issue, struck under NERVA..10.6o gr..

upload_2020-2-18_21-44-5.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-18_21-44-24.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Nice coin. It's unfortunate some people strip the patina either by accident or on purpose. I read one post on another site where a person was proud to show his stripped and "clean" coin. He did say he was new to collecting. He provided a before and after image and when you saw it, you just wanted to cry. Needless to say, he was 'taken to the woodshed' by people who saw the post. By the way, it was a Trajan As.

galba68 and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

That is a good looking coin @galba68

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm not so hard on stripped coins unless I know what they looked like before. The coin might have been encrusted beyond recognition or had a patina mixed with bronze disease. We love our coins for what they are and not for what they are not. My Nerva as for Divus Augustus has a pretty green patina.
    rb0890b01960alg.JPG
    What holes?

galba68, Andres2, Bing and 4 others like this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I agree with Doug. Sometimes you have to strip a coin down to bare metal to even figure out whether or not it's a coin, let alone who it's of. Over time coins will repatinate. Of course, you can also ruin a coin this way, so you should do this as sparingly as possible. But we should be hesitant to criticize. After all, they're just lumps of metal.

galba68 and Andres2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted