A Most Interesting Coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lincoln Cents, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

More coins 003.jpg

From the reverse, this cent appears to have stuck several times...

More coins 004.jpg
    But from the obverse, there is no evidence of multiple strikes. There are in fact these little lines that look like they were pressed into the coin. This makes me conclude that this is an altered coin, with someone pressing images on to the reverse of this coin. What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Henslac

Henslac New Member

I once saw a 64 Kennedy with two heads. :p I am not sure about this. It sure is interesting though.

4. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

On the reverse, the dates seem to be correct. They don't look pressed into it, and aren't reversed. I'd call it a genuine error. Just my opinion, and I'm far from an expert. Someone with much more knowledge should surely chime in shortly. Nice coin IMO.

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The fact that the coin appears to be slightly bent and the date appears to be distorted lends it to a smash job. My vote is PMD.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'd like to know more, too.
    Interesting reverse. The two dates are raised and look to be obverse strikes before the final reverse strike.
    Obverse has PMD around the "o" in god.
    Lines in obverse look like lamination.

7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Lost Dutchman this one looks so obvious that I have to agree with you.a damaged coin is so easy to spot.

8. rickmp

I've always trusted and never questioned your judgement, Dutch, but I wish you'd take a second look at the reverse of this cent.
    It looks as though the dates are not incuse, not mirrored and are placed properly. Some of what appears to be bending might be high and low spots from the original strikes of Abe's head. The parallel lines dented into the coin above the Memorial have me stumped, though. For some strange reason, I like this coin, but I'm relatively new to this and could be totally wrong in my thoughts here.

9. rickmp

Unless it's yours.

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Keep on trying to learn more about error coins and before long you will know more. It took me a long time to learn what little I know because back then there were no computers. now everyone can learn really fast.

11. rickmp

Again, I bow to your superiority, Rascal!

May I kiss your ring, your majesty?

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

rickmp when I find these altered and damaged coin while roll searching I chop them up into small pieces and put them in the trash. I don't put altered coins on here for folks too look at.I also don't complain about other folks doing it because I know how I was when I first started out collecting coins. It takes a very long time to be able to instantly identify a altered or damaged coin. this is learned as you go over a period of time.

13. LostDutchman

I will get a look at it on a regular screen in the morning. I'm on my phone now.

14. CashDude

CashDude Member

Smash job. They could have done a smash job and then a counter-smash to get the date to read normally. If it was really struck off center twice, there's no way the third strike would be in the collar. Cool coin though.

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

NO NO NO Not my ring. You are welcome to kiss my dirty old foot if you want too.that may bring you better luck.
    you need to ease up and pay attention and maybe this forum will help you learn more about coins if you are interested in them.

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

CashDude you are really close to getting it right. you do have some of it right on. you forgot to say that only one date would be visible on the reverse side or maybe neither date. new collectors forgets that a second strike wipes out the details that are in the fields of coins. if a second date was up inside of the deep recesses of the die like say on Lincolns coat or his head then that would be believable. also look at the smashed date on the obverse plus numerous other damage. the best way to detect these altered coins is to put them between two normal coins and the altered ones will be a little larger in diameter. the metal is pushed outwards when a coin is damaged.

17. LostDutchman

Ok this coin is PMD and here is why.

The date on the obverse looks distorted because it was used to make a "counter smash" as you call it. The design was transferred to another coin.. or just another soft piece of metal. This transfer was then used to make yet another transfer(s) onto the reverse of the coin. If you examine the areas around the "dates" you will see the distortion in the normal reverse design. This would indicate that the reverse designs were in fact there prior to the dates. Note the "E" in one. See there it meets the tail of the 9? See how around that meeting that the "E" is distorted or seemingly pushed down... because in fact it was by whatever was pressing on it. Also see the distortion to the top left of the building... same process... same results.

18. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Just throwin' this out there. I'd suspect PMD just because of the warping of the coin. If this was done in a press, the coin should have retained it's flatness.

19. rickmp

Thanks, Dutch. After reading that, and looking again, I've changed my mind. Definitely PMD.

20. CharlesNC

CharlesNC Member

I learn more every day here. I would have missed those details. Thank you Dutch.

Draft saved Draft deleted