A modest proposal

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Mar 20, 2018.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This may strike some here as odd or inappropriate but I have a request/suggestion that some might consider worthy. Here on Coin Talk we have the option of providing some information about ourselves that will end up on our profile page. Many of us guard our privacy to the point that we disclose nothing. That is most assuredly your right. There are situations, however, when we might benefit from having filled out a few general facts.

Recently one of our number announced a give-away of books and later needed to amend the rules to avoid having to pay $20 International postage for a $2 book. I wish we all would disclose not an address that would allow you to be stalked but perhaps a US state of other geographic ID as appropriate (Virginia, France, the Caribbean, S.E. Asia). When a new poster asks where to seek coins, I might suggest the coin show in Baltimore to the someone from the Mid Atlantic USA but not from Singapore. There is a reasonable limit to travel to a show, even a good one. o_O

Some of us have spare coins we have outgrown that we might gift to a new collector who attracted our attention by asking pertinent questions (not 'How much can I get for it on eBay?) but the fact remains that we might be more inclined to do so for an 18 year old college student just discovering ancient coins than to a 92 year old PhD recently retired from the British Museum. There is the additional matter of needing to know the status of minors and how their parents feel about their participation here but we might declare 'young numismatist' here for some purposes someone who is still paying off college loans and can't buy infinite aurei. It also might help prevent one of our well-meaning members from welcoming a newby to the hobby only to find later that the newby was the author of several books in our libraries.

I am not saying that posting something in all those optional profile blanks will cause your mailbox to overflow with freebies or even customized advertising but some might consider if they could see any value in the rest of us knowing a little about you. I am not suggesting that you all write me and say 'sign me up for whatever you are giving away'.

Opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@dougsmit , I like your idea. I just went to my profile page and aded in a bit, not very specific. I hope others choose to fill out enough in their profiles to address the points you bring up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    juris klavins likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Forget it. I discover my DOB information once filled in had disappeared. Is this now a supporter feature?

5. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Profile updated.........Where are my freebies!!!!!! :woot:

I entered my birthday, checked Show Mo/D and Show Year. Hasn't disappeared, dunno.

What are the options for being a "supporter" anyway? I do not see any buttons for making a donation or anything. This forum is definitely worth supporting, but I'm not really down with any recurring payment type deals.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I agree with your proposal @dougsmit. Location information would be very helpful.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Andres2 likes this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I like it Doug. I just went in and changed mine to show where I live and how ol....young I am:joyful:

8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I agree this would be very helpful for many reasons.

Information does not have to be very specific in terms of location.

It is nice to know what country people are in before offering to ship them books or coins.

John

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A good idea @dougsmit . I Swiftly added some information including a general idea of where I live.

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gee, I wonder if I should...

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Whew... for a second I thought we were going to start eating babies...

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Good idea. (Adding info, not eating babies.) I added some stuff too.

Justin Lee likes this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I just upgraded mine the other day! Oober easy and no recurring payments. Just 30 bucks!
    At the top of the screen when you hover over your name there will be a drop down of options. On the right towards the bottom select account upgrades. I used PayPal so it was super quick. And then BOOM, that all to American feeling of entitlement washes over you like waves of barbarians into the long sieged capitol. Ahhhhh. Jk. But it does feel good to donate to something you enjoy:greedy::woot::cool:

Justin Lee and RonSanderson like this.
  15. alde

alde Always Learning

Good idea Doug.

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

The timing of your request is pretty funny. Have you heard of Cambridge Analytica? They are looking for a new CEO. :angelic:

btw This is my son a few years back for Halloween. I work in tech and I used this for a work preso. They immediately got the point.

anon.jpg

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is true. Without the risk of knowing each other we are left with the option of recycling the books and melting the coins making as much sense as finding someone who would appreciate them beyond those values. I ignore about ten calls from your 'son' every day. He certainly is hard working.

mikenoodle, Justin Lee and Kentucky like this.
  18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

19. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug, you got your thinking cap on for sure. I think I have enough info on my profile page so anyone can know I am an old **** and live on the other side of the planet. Other than that, I am the same as the rest of us? I like giving coins to young, aspiring collectors. When we old guys die off, it is the young guys who will carry on our tradition of safeguarding the coins of our history.

benhur767, Theodosius and Ryro like this.
  20. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

Thanks Doug - I'm new and didn't even know that profile information existed :)
    I've updated my profile to show my location ( I'm one of those "international" folks that give headaches to others :panda: )

Theodosius likes this.
  21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Super idea! I filled in quite a bit when I first joined; have never regretted it. VERY often I’ve gone to someone’s profile and been disappointed that I have no idea about their geographic location or age. I have often PMed someone with whom I think I might have something in common, age or location.

I say “aye” or “dilly dilly” and encourage others to follow @dougsmit’s suggestion.

Steve

Kentucky and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted