A modest and interesting RR denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

This worn, affordable example was struck in 81 BC by the moneyer Capito, who was the adopted son of General Gaius Marius' brother Marcus. Marius died in 86 BC, days after his seventh Consulship. Since Sulla had returned to Rome by 82 BC and was nominated Dictator, only Sertorius, the last Marcian general, continued the civil war in Hispania. According to that time-line Marians were still minting coins years after the death of Marius and while Sulla was Dictator. I hope someone can help clarify or correct that curious event in history.

I'm unable to precisely discover the significance of the 'devices'.....and the control marks and numbers vary greatly among this issue, although the number VIII appears evident. Why a reference to Ceres and a farmer ploughing at that specific period of time? Perhaps, just a reuse of former dies during the more successful period of Marian rule?

AR serrated denarius of C Marius c. f. Capito, 81 BC, 3.64 grams
    Draped bust of Ceres, CAPIT and unidentified control mark under chin
    Farmer ploughing with yolk of oxen, C MAR I C F ans SC in EX
    Maria 9, Cr 378/1C; Ex K Vaughn
    RR denarius capito and plowing oxen.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    TIF, ValiantKnight, KSorbo and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice score indeed and a nice coin.

I still don't own a RR Denarius yet.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I checked out Crawford in reference to the type. He doesn't offer any theories for why the moneyer chose Ceres as the obverse, but says that the reverse is meant to complement the obverse. From the Wikipedia article on Ceres: "Ceres was credited with the discovery of spelt wheat (Latin far), the yoking of oxen and ploughing, the sowing, protection and nourishing of the young seed, and the gift of agriculture to humankind;"

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A great looking coin and a type I would like to have.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, Mikey. One I'd welcome in my collection any day.

I'd say the control symbol on the obverse is a lit altar. The reverse control numeral is LVIII (the L looks like an inverted T).

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice find. We're really shopping for the same coins aren't we?

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Thanks guys for all the info!!!:)

Yeah, Bing it seems like it:eek:.....but my RR binge will pause for a while as i begin focusing on some Greek issues as the New year arrives...;)

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The LVIII=58 is a die number showing this was the 58th reverse died used. Mine below is 37 which seems odd since that same number is on the obverse. Usually the reverse dies wore faster so the reverse number would be higher. Centering makes your obverse number unclear. Banti confirms the numbers should match so you have the bottom of the L (upside down T) and small traces of the others. Banti calls the device on 58 'Ara' so altar is it. Banti lists these up to 149 (CXXXXVIIII) with 'serpe su ancora' (snake on still?).

ra5590bb2332redo.jpg

TIF, red_spork, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A very fetching denarius Mikey! Congrats.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Mikey Zee excellent capture! Cool history... Love the wear...looks like the coin has touched many ancient hands! Lots of history within it!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Thanks everyone for the clarification---I noticed the acsearch example, but the upside down L T threw me off....

Yeah, AL, many times the more heavily worn examples appeal to me as much---if not more---than the more 'pristine' types....and for all the reasons you mention...

Alegandron likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That's an awesome OP-coin, Mikey-Z .... very cool (doug's is also a winner)

Sadly, I don't have a sweet AR-RR example .... oh, but wait

=> I do have this disturbing Titus example

Titus a.jpg Titus b.jpg

*awkward* => ummm, stop that and plow 'dem fields!!

:eek:

TIF, Bing, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

That is definitely a bit disturbing!!! Have you tried ice cold water???:rolleyes::D

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted