A mistake by NGC because of grading problematic coin ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Sardar, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Sardar

Sardar Member

The picture shows a coin which is graded MS 62 by NGC. However you can see green spots ( of PVC residue or ?) .
    My question is how this coin is eligible for grading? . As I know green PVC residue is a reason to not be encapsulated by NGC & PCGS.

Thanks for clarifying. Screenshot_2019-10-27 Iran.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It may not have been showing when the coin was graded.

wxcoin, Paul M., Inspector43 and 2 others like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That is correct, but what I see on that coin is almost certainly not PVC residue. My guess is it's verdigris. And since they cleanly graded it, I suspect I'm right.

Sardar and Jaelus like this.
  5. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Things develop after slabbing. I had a couple of PCGS coins (and really, it is any company) and saw PVC. Had it sent in by a dealer friend with a couple other things. I figured they'd crack it, acetone it, and re-slab it, but they declined. On careful perusal of their guarantee, PVC is excluded. I presume it is because it can show up later.

So, I pulled up my big girl pants and bit the bullet. Cracked it out of a top pop slab and acetone'd it myself. Then sent it to NGC so it could go in a registry set there. I would have left it in PCGS plastic but as long as it was getting cracked I ended up sending it to where I have submitting privileges.

PCGS
    comb0 f0f0f0.jpg

Detail of the pvc:

pvc detail.jpg

And in the NGC slab. I have the white balance a bit different in the two photo sessions. But you can see the green gunk is gone.

rev e3e3e3.jpg

In any case, it was a nice enough coin to preserve.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is a real shame that PCGS does not guarantee against PVC.

I will say from experience that NGC does: I bought a few Moroccan coins which had PVC contamination, and submitted them to NGC for appearance review. They conserved the coins, regraded them, and shipped them back - all for free.

Stork, princeofwaldo and wxcoin like this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Fingerprints are notorious for showing up later.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but a few things that might explain why it got slabbed even with PVC damage:

1.) They didn't notice it or if they did, thought it was benign crud. I don't think verdigris is the correct choice of words since it is a modern issue. More like crud.

2.) The coin is perhaps worth so little in even in MS66, that a MS62 grade properly discounts the coin from a superb gem even if it is PVC damage. In other words, with or without the PVC damage only worth a few dollars.

3.) The individual who graded the coin has geopolitical reasons for despising the issuing authority, and the spots are actually authentic grader spit intentionally added to the surface.

Sardar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted