A missing Reverse added...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Capture.JPG I have a brockage of the Roman Republican denarius shown above. The picture above is from Ernest Babelon, Cosconia 1, published in 1885. I purchased the coin ~15 years ago- probably even earlier - my record keeping was non-existent before then. At the time it was one of the best preserved denarii in my collection. It is an interesting Roman Republic denarius - struck in Narbo, Gaul.

Crawford (RRC) describes the style as "markedly different" and "unparalleled" for both the erratic legends and the unusual administrative structure represented on the coin. It is signed by 2 senior moneyers (IIviri col. deduc.: the two highest officials responsible for leadership of the colony)
    - L. Licinius Crassus (L LIC on reverse)
    - Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus (CN DOM on reverse)
    and a junior moneyer
    - L Cosconius (L COSCO M F on obverse)
    4 other junior moneyers issued coins in this series with the the 2 senior officials.

Narbo Martius, modern day Narbonne, France, was established as a colony ~118BC as a strategic location on the road to Spain. The date, not without some past controversy, is based on this passage from Paterculus:

"A colony was established at Narbo Martius in Gaul about one hundred and forty-six years ago in the consulship of Porcius and Marcius."
    - Velleius Paterculus, Roman History, 1.15.5

Establishing a colony in Narbo was controversial in Rome as the senate worried about conflict with local populations and the scope of responsibility. The pro-colony argument was led by L. Licinius Crassus, who is described by Cicero a few decades later.

As he [Crassus] was then desirous to have the honour of settling the colony of Narbo (as he afterwards did) he thought it advisable to recommend himself, by undertaking the management of some popular cause. His oration, in support of the act which was proposed for that purpose, is still extant; and reveals a greater maturity of genius than might have been expected at that time of life.
    - Cicero, Brutus, a History of Famous Orators, 160

It seems that a colony was a "popular cause" because it would have the potential to grant access to both trade and farm land/land grants.

Here's the brockage coin:
    Cosconia brockage Blu.jpg
    L. Cosconius M.f., 118 BC, AR serrate denarius, Narbo mint
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right; X behind
    Size: 3.7g, 19mm

And the companion, added this week, a properly struck version of this coin with the reverse my brockage was missing.
    Cosconia denarius Blu.jpg
    L. Cosconius M.f., 118 BC, AR serrate denarius, Narbo mint
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right; X to left
    Rev: Gallic warrior (Bituitus?), naked, driving a galloping biga right, hurling spear and holding a shield and carnyx
    Size: 3.94g, 19mm
    Ref: Crawford 282/2; Sydenham 521; Cosconia 1

The reverse references victories over the Gauls, and there are aguments that it could be a reference to Gallic King Bituitus, captured by the father of Cn Domitius Ahenobarbus - another subject of scholarly debate.

Comment and corrections to any of the above are always appreciated. Post anything you find entertaining or interesting.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    eparch, Curtisimo, ominus1 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your brockage photo would be more effective if you used the same lighting used for the normal coin. When you light a normal relief from the bottom as on the obverse of the brockage the bright area under the chin and shadow on top of the head tells the brain there is something strange. The same lighting direction on the reverse (brockage incuse) places the light and shadow areas where they make sense so the side that should be wrong looks right and the side that is right looks wrong.

My brockage Republican:
    r27180bb0116.jpg

ominus1, zumbly, Marsyas Mike and 5 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool Brockage, and great detective work, @Sulla80

Mine:

I like it as “ROMA” is retrograde, like Oscan language of the Marsic Confederation from the Social War.
    [​IMG]

RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE

ominus1, zumbly, Marsyas Mike and 5 others like this.
  5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip - here's an updated photo. There is some dark toning and roughness on the surfaces on this coin - both may complicate the shadow effects. I still see the brockage side on this image as if it were a normally struck obverse (other than reverse lettering).
    Attempt 2 Blu.jpg

simple, well centered - and I also like the cryptic mirrored ROMA. I think I see a visible "BEO" on the obverse - Q. Fabius Labeo, Rome, 124 BC or maybe a contemporary imitation?

ominus1, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 2 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Alegandron said:
    Cool Brockage, and great detective work, @Sulla80
    Mine: I like it as “ROMA” is retrograde, like Oscan language of the Marsic Confederation from the Social War....

@Sulla80 stated: “simple, well centered - and I also like the cryptic mirrored ROMA. I think I see a visible "BEO" on the obverse - Q. Fabius Labeo, Rome, 124 BC or maybe a contemporary imitation?”

Hmmm... nice observation...

[​IMG]
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE

Here are a couple of mine... and, yeah, my Brockage looks like a match as a Labeo:

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    AR Denarius
    Q. Fabius Labeo 124 BCE
    18mm 3.7g Rome -
    Roma X below - LABEO
    Jupiter in quad Prow LABI
    Cr 273-1 Syd 532 Sear 148

[​IMG]
    RR Fabius Labeo 124 BCE AR Den Quadriga last X or XVI Sear 148 Cr 273-1

THANKS, @Sulla80 ! I think you solved my mystery brockage!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    ominus1, zumbly, Marsyas Mike and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted