A Missing 4 in a 1943 Steel Wheat Penny!! Any $$ value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dianegirl83, Jun 25, 2014.

1. dianegirl83

dianegirl83 Member

I have a 1943 Steel Lincoln Wheat Penny with a missing 4 in the date . So does this coins value$ increase at all from the error in the date?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

We need better pics.

Dougmeister likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

agreed. Better pics would help.

And before anyone else says it...

DON'T CLEAN IT! ;-)

5. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I also have a 1943 steel cent with what appears to be the same error. I got it for just 50 cents at a coin show, so if it is the same error, then it doesn't look like it adds much value. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert - I just thought that might help. Even though errors like that may not be worth much, I still think they are interesting and fun to collect!

Attached Files:

6. Bayern1900

Bayern1900 Member

If it is indeed in error, maybe you got it so cheap because the seller wasnt aware of the missing 4 and thought it was a regular steel cent. Happens often, its called " cherry picking"

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

The missing 4 on 1943 cents is very common. I think it was either caused by a large amount of grease that year or a weakly engraved date. Either way, it carries little premium.

8. scotts1

The seller knew about it - the price sticker even said "weak 4".

9. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

This is a legitamate error? my thought was that the coin was worn enough that it removed the 4

10. non_cents

It is an error in the sense that it is something that is not consistent with the intended design and was produced at the mint, it is just so common that it is not really collectable.

If you google search "1943 weak 4" you get a ton of results of people who found the same thing.

11. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Unless it has been replated we would see steel in a worn spot.

non_cents likes this.
  12. non_cents

Wordy, you never visit me in the error forum anymore! :bucktooth:

Good to see you around, bud. :)

13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I saw you in that other thread disrespecting pennies, when in fact your ID could be some. Isn't a penny a non cent? :p

non_cents likes this.
  14. josh's coins

How can we be sure that it is a mint error?
    Someone in 1943 could have bought a ton of rolls of these coins. scrapped off the 4's and sold them as errors after the war.

15. non_cents

I don't think so. Error coins were not as big as they were back then than they are now. If someone were actually to do that, there would undoubtably be signs of tampering (scrapes, gouges, damage. etc) around the area. Plus, there are examples where the 4 is weak (but not entirely gone), indicating that it is possibly a striking issue that progressed rather than PMD.

josh's coins likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There is no conspiracy here, Josh; they are what they are, and as Simon has already (repeatedly) said, this is a very common anomaly that somehow occurred at the mint.

17. Bayern1900

Bayern1900 Member

I think PCGS even grades the variety " weak 4"

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't understand why you are trying to find conspiracies like this. I think you are over thinking these thins way too much. This is a known variety, it's quite common and adds little to no value to the coin. It's an interesting find though.

19. scotts1

Even though that's apparently not the case here, I understand why you are concerned about fake errors. They are an unfortunate reality for collectors, and getting burned can certainly make a buyer more cautious - and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

20. josh's coins

That was my concern. However non cents had made cents of it all. *crickets*

21. dianegirl83

dianegirl83 Member

image.jpg Here is some more pics of the coin! They still seem blurry! But as u can c the 4 is not there! I think this coin was a good find! Thanx 4 the info. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted