A Minor Conundrum...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

A young lady that I work with had her mother pass recently. Of course everyone I work with knows I am a coin-o-holic, so today she brings me the coins her momma had tucked away. I added things up and am giving her a very fair price with one caveat.... This little glass pig is stuffed with wheat cents. I promised her that once I was able to free the wheats from the pig, I would make good on any key dates that may show up. Here's the conundrum.... I am of the mind this glass pig is older than the wheats and may be the best part of this deal. How can I free the cents without busting the pig?...... What say you @Collecting Nut ? Does this glass pig appear to be a keeper to you?

pig.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Pretty piggy!!!good luck I'd say leave it alone and let it remain like it has been for how old it is.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

use a knife to slide them out.

imrich, Kentucky, MIGuy and 6 others like this.
  5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I have done this before using a butter knife...once you get the hang of it, the pennies come out fairly easy.

imrich, Kentucky, Inspector43 and 6 others like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

7. Randy Abercrombie

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

What was the "Hammer" price?
    Don't hit me.

9. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Yes!!!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. PamR

The butter knife like others said. That is an old piggy bank.

11. PamR

The pig is vintage.

12. PamR

Turn the glassware over and look for the words “Fire King,” “Anchor Hocking” or a combination of both. The Anchor Hocking symbol of an “H” with an anchor was also used. Be sure to verify that milk glass with a hobnail or grapevine pattern is an Anchor Hocking piece, since other companies made similar patterns.

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I'd plunge the whole thing in a vat of mercury and let the pennies float out.

Cal

MIGuy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The glass pig is made of Marigold Carnival Glass. It could be anywhere from the 1950’s to the 1970’s. It takes time, patience and a bit of practice. You don’t want to hurt the pig and you don’t want to chip the glass.

Turn ups side down on about a 45 degree angle. A normal kitchen knife will help them once you start sliding and shaking the pig on that angle. Once they start falling out it gets easier to remove them until you’re almost done.

I have a family of pigs just like yours, packed away at the moment. I have 4 or 5 small ones and 2 large ones. I like them. Take you time, be patient and you will be holding them in your hand soon. I sell the pigs for $7.50 in my antique store but they do not sell fast. Let me know how it goes.

15. Randy Abercrombie

I only see a number "2" and a symbol that looks much like a house.

16. Collecting Nut

That sir is the mold number.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Can you get a decent photo of the bottom?

18. Randy Abercrombie

This is about as good as I could get.

Pig2.jpg

19. Collecting Nut

That’s the makers mark but I can’t make it out. The 2 is definitely the mold number. It’s a keeper for sure but I wish I could make out the maker for you.

20. Randy Abercrombie

It looks like the glass didn't fill in the makers mark completely. It's a greaser!

Cheech9712 and CoinCorgi like this.
  21. Collecting Nut

Draft saved Draft deleted