A mini study in grading AU/MS 3 cent nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, May 5, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Sorry I only have a few at this point. It's a partial grade progression that I thought would be interesting to discuss/view. There are a couple different from the 2 big grading services. Feel free to add your thoughts or pics of your own.
    DSCN3147a-vert.jpg DSCN3178a-vert.jpg DSCN3182a-vert.jpg DSCN3131a-vert.jpg DSCN3186a-vert.jpg DSCN3191a-vert.jpg

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pfg1961

pfg1961 New Member

Hi I would think the NGC 63 to be your highest graded one . Maybe its the color, but abouve LIBERTY is well struck .I dont see much difference in marks on them . Tough for me too grade these little guys raw . Id be way off .

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

For eye appeal the au58 1865 now if it only had a fully struck III

medjoy likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nice post for our education. I see lots of corrosion spots; however I've been told that my grading is too tough - that I "micro grade" and that is to be avoided. :D I suggest you avoid coins with these defects in the future as that was the first thing I saw.

Question on NGC #3888500? Is that a scratch or debris on the reverse crossing the last I?

joecoincollect likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's a scratch on the holder.

Insider likes this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

If I had to pick, I would go for the 903- MS63. Great strike on the obverse and good vertical lines on the columns.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted