A Memorial Way to End the Year...Herinnius Etruscus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Dec 23, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...We are a passionate group of collectors here, to say the least...at the time i started making this thread, there were 4 other members posting theirs within a 30 minute time fame...fantastic! :)...this lil jewel came in over the weekend, but i hadn't really had a chance to look at it closely till tonite...these pics don't do it justice for its shiny with blue toning hue around the portriat and on the reverse...its beautiful!:happy:..and i've been awanting one for quite some time...

POST YOUR COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS..AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE EVE! :) Mela & family, Herinnius Estrucus 004.JPG Mela & family, Herinnius Estrucus 005.JPG Herinnius Etruscus AR Antoninianus(250-251 AD) as Caesar, Pietas Reverse, Mercury standing left holding purse & caduceus, 20mm 2.76gms ref. RIC142b, Cohen 11, Seaby 2640

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

So I don't feel left out, here's my only silver coin with any sort of attractive toning:
    IMG_E8089.JPG

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

ominus1, Nice score on the Herennius Etruscus antoninianus :D! With a little luck maybe Mercury will drop a money bag in your checking account :p. I managed to score a nice Antioch Tet of the kid this year, pictured below.

5746814-014 AK Collection.jpg

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

HERENNIUS ETRUSCUS 2.jpg
    HERENNIUS ETRUSCUS
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: Q HER MES DECIVS NOB C, Radiate and draped bust of Herennius right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA AVGG, Clasped hands
    Struck at Rome, 250/1 AD
    3.53g, 21mm
    RIC138
    Herennius Etruscus 1.jpg
    HERENNIUS ETRUSCUS
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, Bare-headed and draped bust right
    REVERSE: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding rod and spear
    Struck at Rome, 250 AD
    3.0g, 20mm
    RIC 147c, C26

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Congratulations, @ominus1, on the new acquisition. I only have one coin of the boy.

[​IMG]
    Herennius Etruscus as Caesar, AD 249-251.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.83 g, 22.4 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, 5th emission, early AD 151.
    Obv: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Apollo seated left, holding branch and resting left elbow on lyre.
    Refs: RIC 146; RSC 24a; Cohen --; RCV 9522; Hunter 9; ERIC II 40.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This is the only "Henny penny"* I've owned.

*That's the technical term for 'em that they use in RIC, right? ;)

[​IMG]

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome coin, @ominus1 ! Very nice. And Happy Xmas Eve!

HERENNIUS ETRUSCUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Herennius Etruscus 251 CE AR Ant Apollo seated
    rper 260-261 CE Ant 3.74g Samasota mint Indulgentia patera scepter RIC V 5

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Love that blue toning:cool:
    I only have a bronze of little Hernny:
    Screenshot_20200918-203223_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Herennius Etruscus (250-251 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus, 23mm 3.0 grams

Obverse: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, Bare-headed and draped bust right

Reverse: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding rod and spear.

Translation: "Prince of the Youth"

Reference: RIC 147c, RSC 26. Sear 9523

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@ominus1 , Hope that REVERSE is a sign to give you HEALTH and WEALTH!

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A beautiful coin!

Here's my one Herennius Etruscus, with Spes on the reverse:

Herennius Etruscus - Spes 1.jpg

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a wonderful new acquisition – not only since Herennius Etruscus must be considered a scarcer emperor, but also because Mercury isn't a deity commonly shown on Roman Imperial coins.

Mine came from AMCC2:

Rom – Herennius Etruscus, Antoninian, Merkur.jpg
    Herennius Etruscus, Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 251 AD, Rome mint. Obv: bust of Herennius Etruscus, radiate, draped, r. Rev: PIETAS AVGG; Mercury, nude except for cloak on shoulders, standing l., holding purse and caduceus. 20mm, 3.17g. Ref: RIC IV Trajan Decius 142. Ex JB collection; ex AMCC 2, lot 201.

Bing, Johndakerftw, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The same thought occurred to me. Not that anyone should judge by my collection, which is still relatively small, but I don't have a single Roman Imperial coin depicting Mercury, and rarely see them offered. In fact, I have only one Roman Republican coin with Mercury (the C. Mamilius Limetanus with Mercury on the obverse and Ulysses with his dog on the reverse), and one Roman Provincial with Hermes -- a Macrinus-Diadumenian Pentassarion from Marcianopolis that I've posted a number of times. It appears from OCRE that there are only a little more than 50 different Imperial types showing Mercury, and a number of them don't really count as far as I'm concerned because they're just tiny statues in or on depictions of temples. So @ominus1 has himself a real prize!

ominus1 likes this.
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i thought that would be a residence for my 4 Christmas gifts my friend Marty gave me this year...but they seem to like the porch ok..i took this pic yesterday...:D
    thanks Brian..me too! :)..(if i knew for sure, i'd get TWO!:p)...all nice coins peeps & thanks for the kind comments..the real prize is you peeps here, no doubt:shame:.....Happy Holidays one & all! :)

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted