A Medusa for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Oct 4, 2015.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I think TIF has one of these, and I accidentally got a Medusa head coin from a group lot a few months ago so when I saw this coin I thought I would place a low ball bid. Surprising I just won it. So now I guess I have two medusas, though I never thought I would own one. I like this one quite a bit though.

133_large_dc8df25e51b21bcba0a8072743f65e18.jpg

Pontos, Amisos. 85-65 BC. Athena head right/Perseus with Medusa head, Medusa's body beneath. I think of the movie "Clash of the Titans" when I see this coin. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I wondered which CoinTalk member would buy this and had imaginary money on that member being Doug. I considered bidding but already have two... yet I was still very tempted. Your new coin excellent; well-centered and with all features very clear. I think it sold for a very modest price, considering the condition.

A year or two ago it seems that many of us were chasing these. Steve has a handful of them, some from Amisos and some from Sinope. I have two, one purchased at auction and another arguable better example found in a local jewelry store for a fraction of the price.

[​IMG]
    PONTOS, Amisos
    85-65 BCE, time of Mithradates VI Eupator
    AE28, 18.5 gm
    Obv: helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: AMIΣOY; Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa, Medusa's body at his feet
    Ref: SNG Stancomb 683 var. (no monogram to right)

[​IMG]
    PONTOS, Amisos
    85-65 BCE, time of Mithradates VI Eupator
    AE29, 19.5 gm
    Obv: helmeted head of Athena right; griffin on helmet
    Rev: AMI-ΣOY; Perseus standing facing, holding harpa & Medusa's head; Medusa's body at his feet, monograms flanking him
    Ref: SNG BM Black Sea 1166; Stancomb 684; SNG Copenhagen 137 (best guess)

The second coin as it appeared at purchase, prior to cleaning (one of the few coins I actually improved by cleaning):
    [​IMG]

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Keep up I will be the only one not owning this type. They are cool and hopefully in time I will get one. Nice addition, Chris.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice score, Chris! It's a great type - I have yet to own one myself.

6. medoraman

Well they had an even COOLER piece, same mint and ruler. It had ole Mithradates in a wolf skin. Very cool, but went for more than I would go as a one off.

I don't have a pic of it, but my other piece is a VF AE26 Medusa facing coin I got in a group lot. I am sure most bidders for the lot were bidding on that coin, but I actually bought the lot for two Kolchis bronzes in the lot.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've got to get one of these (note to brain: add to growing list).

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, that Mithradates with wolf skin headdress made my watch list as soon as the auction posted... and went off the list soon thereafter due to the number of bidders :(

There were several tempting provincials in today's Pecunem, as usual. I didn't bid on anything and it was tough not to!

Shall we take bets as to whether dear darling Clio nabbed the wolfskin coin? :D

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Super cool pickup, medoraman (congrats!!)

I have "4" of those sweet babies from Pontos (none as nice as your new score!!)

Pontos Amisos again.jpg Pontos amisos number two.jpg Pontos Amisos Version three.jpg pontosg.jpg pontosh.jpg

Oh, and I also snagged a cool example from Sinope ...

Sinope Medusa.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Steve, don't you have four of everything by now? Chop chop!

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and TIF like this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful pick-up M-Man !!!

Hmm, I'm also one of the few lacking the type:(....Did Steve and TIF corner the market???:rolleyes::D

Terrific posts, one and all!!!

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That is a super example of the type, and has the nicest neck stump that I've seen on one. Sorry if that comes across as a little macabre, but in this case, beauty is in the eye of the be(headed corpse coin)holder.

I have one from Amisos, which I love despite it having quite a bit of the corpse (including the neck!) off flan...
    upload_2015-10-5_11-18-43.png

And one from Komana, in junky grade (again missing much of the corpse), but from a rare mint and possessing the rarely seen face of Medusa...
    upload_2015-10-5_11-20-24.png

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

... love the Komana, my friend (totally jealous)

Mikey Zee and zumbly like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wow @TIF that one did clean up very well.

TIF likes this.
  15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Rated R for graphic violence :)

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I certainly would have bought this if I saw it but I mentioned it here and found myself bumping heads with others here so I stopped looking for them. This new one is among the best I have seen since it has a great gushing body, Jason's head and the weapon on flan. Perfection would require facial details on Medusa which are rare without losing one of the other details.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great coins "everyone" ...

man, these sweet coins have so many cool details, so it's very difficult to find an example that has all of them ...

Although the severed head and gushing body are definite primary targets, I am also a huge fan of the "gryphon" on Athena's helmet (yah, I love animal coins) ...

Oh, and an example showing a sweet shot of the super cool weapon (a harpa) is also an attribute that I look for (yup, I love dem coins with weapons almost as much as animal coins!!)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This one a type I'd like to have. Cool addition.

19. WDF

WDF Its all about history

Well I guess I'm hooked on Athena, those obverses are fantastic!

20. medoraman

Wow, cool to have the Doug seal of approval. Trust me, if you would have outbid me on it I wouldn't have been mad. I figure we are all friends here, but coin buying is coin buying, and whoever gets it earns it. There are always more coins, but not more friends.

Btw, just got it in Fedex today. I know we read numbers, but this is a pretty big coin! Nice and hefty. Now I really feel I stole it for 120 Euro. I will get over it though. :)

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thief!

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted