A made-up, FANTASY coin scandal (just for fun)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Sep 29, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I thought it would be fun to make up a fake story about the coin collecting world being impacted in a massive way that changed the hobby forever. THIS IS FAKE! It's just conjecture for fun. What would our world be like if this really happened???

Here's my made-up story:

"A rare coin grader who has worked at 3 of the major TPG's came forward early last week with irrefutable evidence that for the past 5 years, all three companies have conspired together to identify and purposefully under-grade coins valued at $250,000 and up. Some of these coins were slabbed as "Cleaned" or given other fake problems so as to lower their value on the open market. The conspirators then bought these coins as they appeared at auction for low prices and re-certified them without those problems and/or in higher grades, to be sold at a future date. It is unclear at this time how many coins this conspiracy has affected, but at least 74 coins have been identified thus far, totaling in excess of $30,000,000. Since the story broke just 4 days ago, all three TPG's have been shut down as the FBI continues to investigate."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

"The shutdown is expected to cause major delays at NGC and ANACS. Since PCGS only certifies one order per day, they are expected to maintain their current wait times of 40-90 business days."

rooman9, dwhiz and C-B-D like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

more like 400-900 days hahaha

jester3681 and dwhiz like this.
  5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised at all.
    It may have happened already, but with different circumstances.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Watch it. This is the internet where jokes turn into mass mailings of supposed fact.:wacky:

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I once got a Facebook article making the rounds about how the new, golden Presidential Dollars didn't have IN GOD WE TRUST on the obverse or reverse, and that we needed to write our congressmen NOW! :rolleyes:

Rushmore likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"The General Services Administration just released 400,000 Mint State 1964 Peace Dollars to the public at $100 each."

paddyman98, Santinidollar and C-B-D like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don't give China big ideas.:woot:

C-B-D likes this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Dan Carr owners would have to go on anti-depressants. lol

Evan8, Paddy54, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

and 5,000 65D @ $1250.00 ea

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Wait so I just wasted my time buying up all those details coins on ebay:smuggrin:

mlov43, tommyc03 and C-B-D like this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Dateline September 29 2016

The U.S. Mint today announced that they will follow in the snowshoes of our neighbors of the "Great White North"
    In conjunction with the BEP ,the mint will now cease mintage of all one cent coins,as well as dollar coins and notes.
    In place the US Government will pay the RCM to mint a new version of the looney and toonie . This will save the United States Government millions every year! The penny now so obsolete that even fountains have refused them being tossed in. They will be replaced with rounding up or down on the cost of an item. So as an example you buy your 3 year old son a happy meal, at Mc D's old cost $4.79. The new retail will be $10. As the pimple faced employees just don't grasp rounding up or down. After all rounding is taught in 3rd grade math.
    The two new coins replacing the dollar note and the two dollar bill with "not" have images of dead presidents.
    Instead they will have an images of both the house and senate members. This is being done to unite the country buy spending in a bipartisanship way.
    Both the loonie and toonie will be struck featuring members of both parties. Third party members will have a special coin minted called a loonietoons . Not to be confused with Saturday morning cartoons.

Santinidollar and C-B-D like this.
  14. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Breaking News: An anonymous person from the U.S. Mint just declared that every coin ever minted is now no longer legal tender. In its Place a stone system will be used. A 1lb. stone will denote $1 and so forth. The Mint will not be making them so you will find them your self. If a stone is found to be over or under weight you will be charged with theft. The Mint will be closing down and giving away everything in its warehouse including all dies.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

only certified stones from yap island will be recognised

Coinlover67 likes this.
  16. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

only certified stones from yap island will be recognised

17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Will they be more anal friendly?

18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Breaking News:

Citing higher production costs, Secretary of the Treasury Jenry M. Paulson, Jr. announced today that starting in 2018 all U.S. coins will be produced at a factory in China. However, Secretary Paulson stated that the public need not worry as all U.S. coins will continue to look identical, except for a small "MADE IN CHINA" inscription on the rim of the coin.

When asked about concerns over intellectual property theft and whether the Chinese government could steal the dies and metal composition formulas, and create their own fake U.S. coins that are virtually identical and indistinguishable, Secretary Paulson said "There's no need to worry. China has no history of counterfeiting U.S. coins. This is an unwarranted concern propagated by online conspiracy theorists."

As part of the multi-Billion dollar deal, and in the spirit of unity, the U.S. mint announced that in cooperation with Chinese mint authorities the U.S. Mint and Chinese Mint will jointly release a commemorative Dollar coin featuring George Washington and Mao Zedong titled 'Fathers of their Countries'.

PS: I predict something like this might become reality before 2020. We shall see. :p
    :jawdrop:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    C-B-D likes this.
  19. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I found this on the floor of the mint during a tour. Is it worth anything?

20160929_125326_resized.jpg

C-B-D likes this.
  20. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

YOU WIN!!!! Awesome!

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  21. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Lots better than a nail.

Draft saved Draft deleted