A look at NGC's new standard label

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bedford, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well, I just got a bulk package back of Morgan dollars from NGC. They have changed their label for standard submissions it appears.
    Or maybe I missed the announcement & it's common knowledge now.

The date, denomination, serial # & grade are offset to the left now.

Not sure how it will work with coins that have varieties or other info needed on the label spacing wise .
    I'm not set on the look of the label but just thought it is interesting. I just got a package the other day & the labels were the same as the ones from the past year.

So what do you think of the new look ?
    1-IMG_0744.JPG 2-IMG_0745.JPG

swamp yankee and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Hmm... I don't think I like it. And I have a submission in right now... darn it.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Nice coin, I don't buy labels

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's a step in the wrong direction, but at least the physical slab is still excellent. Those new PCGS slabs are just awful.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like the new PCGS label with that square bar code as I can scan it and get a lot of info real quick.
    I do like the old white ANACS holder
    But what do I know, I'm just an old collector of coins

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I like the centering of the "older" NGC labels, but at least that Morgan helps offset the look of the less pretty label. ;)

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The label is okay, but that 65+ is very nice!

9. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

At least the coin didn't fall out.

I don't like the new label.

dwhiz, swamp yankee and Jaelus like this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Don't mind the design, but the coin info should be centered.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks more like the ones that they have been using on ancients for a while now. I kind of like it.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

At least with the $100 coin there is a picture on the right side that balances it out. I know this has a picture on the right too, but it is so light it would be better as a background, and have the text centered.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Eh, it'll take some getting used to.
    But like others. The coin is swell!

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I would rather the info be larger and centered too. It feels like something is missing in the top right region of the holder and it bugs me a little. Maybe it would look better in hand.

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Hum, and I just sent in 20. I do like the coin.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm crazy about it, but I'm guessing the reason for it is to have consistent formatting of text on all labels while allowing for large, dominant graphics to be shown on promotional labels

18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I like that it appears they are trying to step up their game against fake slabs by making copies harder to make. However, before we pat them on the back we have to realize this is entirely defensive on their part. The moment the average collector believes slabs are easily faked is the moment all collectors, but especially slabbed collectors, will take a beating as droves of casual collectors will stop spending money on something they worry might be a fake.

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Interesting topic about fake slabs. I am a member of NGC and do not remember any notice about the change. If I were at a show or on the internet and had seen this slab without knowledge of the change I would have thought possible fake. Maybe I missed NGC's PR release about the new slab but it would be good to get this out to the collecting community. I'm thinking we will see more of this more often in effort to increase their game against the fakes.

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I do find the little "globe-shaped" hologram mesmerizing. It's like the slab is staring back at you and reporting back to the mother ship. OK, maybe I find it creepy, too.

swamp yankee likes this.
  21. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

@Tater - I don't think the "slab" is new , just the label for standard graded coins.

swamp yankee and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted