A Long Time Ago...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aidan_(), Dec 30, 2017.

1. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

At a coin club far far away...

I've been meaning to post this for quite some time. Now that I've gotten some good coin pics I can! I did mention maybe once or twice how I started collecting ancient coins but not in detail or what the coins were. It started when I got curious about ancients and wandered down to the darkness of the ancients forum. A post here a post there but nothing serious. Then to my utter delight a PM by @Bing saying that he had some coins to give me. We both live in FL, not too far from each other actually, and we soon had a place and time to meet up. I offered to meet up at a coin club that I was an officer at (recording secretary). Lo and behold he showed up! We talked a little bit, he gave me four coins and he took off! (it was a surreal kinda moment) And the rest is history.

A big thank you to @Bing if he didn't show up and encouraged me in my new found interest it would of taken longer for me to turn to the Dark Side.

So here they are!

upload_2017-12-30_21-4-47.png
    Aurelian, with Vabalathus, Antioch mint
    Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right; A below
    Rev: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Vaballathus right

upload_2017-12-30_21-9-10.png
    Constantine I
    Obv: Helmeted, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Vexillum, seated captives on each side

upload_2017-12-30_21-10-55.png
    Crispus
    Obv: Laureate head right
    Rev: Wreath, VOT X within

upload_2017-12-30_21-11-47.png
    Valens
    Obv: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Valens dragging captive right, holding labarum

Bing, thank you for giving and for your service to this country.

-Aidan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Some of us Florida folks really ought to get together one of these days. I think I live 3 hours away at the most from some of you, including @Bing and yourself. I think someone here lives in Fort Lauderdale, about 15 minutes from my house (Can't recall who that is now). Seriously would love to meet some of you in person and show off my collection and see yours in person. That would be a lot of fun.

Aidan_() likes this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

That would be me, although knowing Florida traffic a 15 minute drive somewhere else would basically take like 35 minutes here for the same distance. Would really enjoy meeting up with any of you in person.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'll shoot you a PM next month and maybe we can figure something out.

6. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the coins, and the story behind them.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted