A Long Search Rewarded & Then Disappointment

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Have you ever searched a long time for a coin you wanted, found it, and then a short time later found a better one o_O? This happened to me recently, but not the first time :mad:. For a long time I had been searching for a tetradrachm of Trebonianus Gallus with a nice looking portrait and spotted one in the Heritage auction on January 28, 2020, see photo below. I won the coin for a bargain price of $99.00, including the buyers premium :D. My most important criteria was a nice looking portrait. And 49 days later a coin with a better portrait appears at auction :sour:. Usually I just shrug my shoulders, bite my lip and forget about it, but this time I didn't :smuggrin:. I was determined to sit thru another auction and buy the 2nd coin if it wasn't much more than the 1st coin, see the photo below. Lady luck was on my side and I won the coin for only $69.00 more than the 1st coin :p. I'll probably trade or sell the 1st coin....

Treb. Gallus Tet.jpg
    McAlee 1172a.jpg
    T.G. Tet.jpg McAlee 1172a, Antioch, Syria.jpg

Ed Snible, panzerman, TheRed and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Both lovely coins and the second one has a bold and detailed portrait, indeed. I can see why you had to have it.

Nonetheless, I think the first coin is more interesting in that it has an officina mark below the bust (a dot), which might also occur after the S C in the exergue on the reverse.

Curtisimo and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. Al Kowsky

R.C., That's a good point ;). I'm sure the 2nd coin also had a dot on the obverse die that didn't appear on the coin because of the flan size. But again, I was more concerned with the portrait.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I like the first one more than the 2nd.
    They are both great looking coins but there is something about the first that just does it for me. Thanks for sharing!

Two Dogs and medoraman like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Those are both lovely. The portrait on the first one especially appeals to me - something about that "Antioch Eye".

I got an ugly Trebonianus Gallus tet in a lot recently - at a buck fifty, I can't expect pretty. It does have three dots below the bust:

Antioch - Trebonianus Gallus Tet Lot feb 2020 (0).jpg

Trebonianus Gallus Bil. Tet.
    (251-253 A.D.)
    Issue Group 1, Officina 3
    Antioch, Syria

ΑΥΤΟΚ ΚΓ ΟΥΙΒ ΤΡƐΒ ΓΑΛΛΟϹ ϹƐΒ laureate, draped & cuirassed bust r., below ••• / ΔΗΜΑΡΧ [ƐΞ]Ο[Υ]ϹΙΑϹ, eagle facing, head r. holding wreath, Γ between legs, SC in exergue.
    RPC IX 1798; Prieur 661; McAlee 1173c.
    (9.73 grams / 25 mm)

8. Al Kowsky

furryfrog02, I had to think awhile before bidding on the 2nd coin since the 1st coin is struck on a larger flan & has a complete image of both dies :confused:. But again, I was more concerned about the superior portrait than anything else :).

Roman Collector and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like the first one more as well.

Here is mine.

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus (251 - 253 A.D.)
    Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: AUTOK K G OUIB TREB GALLOS SEB,Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind; • below.
    R: DHMAPX EZOYCIAC YPATOB SC, Eagle standing facing, head and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; A between legs. SC in exergue.
    Antioch Mint
    11.84g
    25mm
    McAlee 1177(a); Prieur 672

TheRed, robinjojo, galba68 and 7 others like this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like the portrait on the first just a bit more than the 2nd too. To each their own I guess. This is what makes collecting fun. Something out there for everyone! :)

11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I am with you. The gun metal toning is easier on the eyes, I find the portrait more human than the sterner 2nd coin.

This is what is great about ancients more than moderns. Style can mean two different people prefer two different coins, and neither are "wrong". I have about 10 examples of my avatar coin. I have a preference, but it almost never is the same of what other's are. None of us are "wrong", its personal preference.

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Btw OP, I would suggest you follow my lead. I searched for 10 years for a silver Christopher coin of Constantine VII, (first time my name was on a coin). I bought it, and a month later there was a group lot with one in it, so I bought that too. There is nothing wrong at all with owning multiples of a coin you desire. Look at my grouping of Vahran II I have now. I buy every one I like and think the price is fair.

13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is one with two dots below the bust.

TrebGallus4Antioch1747white.jpg
    Trebonianus Gallus.
    26 mm. 12.41 grams. Antioch.
    B between legs.
    Prier 659. AcAlee 1173B. "first issue"

14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Both amazing... but no! I cannot commiserate with you as to having two amazing duplicate coins. Sort of wish I had your problems.
    But I am glad you are happy with the final acquisition.

galba68 likes this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice additions @Al Kowsky !

I like both coins about the same. The obverse legend on the 1st coin is clearer and it has more pleasant surfaces and a larger flan. The 2nd coin still has the silvering and a more artistic portrait. These coins are a good example of the lesser importance of a static grading system for ancients I think.

Of course BOTH are absolute winners. Congrats on the double victory! I’d keep em both.

Here is my Trebonianus Gallus tet.
    A Trebonianus Gallus Tetradrachm from Antioch
    06428588-0F2E-4FE2-AD4F-03EEBFA07F2D.jpeg
    Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch
    Trebonianus Gallus
    AR tetradrachm, struck ca. 251-253, 1st officina
    Obv.: Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: Eagle standing facing, head and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; A between legs. SC in exergue
    Ref.: McAlee 1173a; Prieur 657
    Ex Tenbobbit Collection; Purchased privately from the collection of an English gentleman in 2005; Ex AMCC 2, Lot 434 (Nov. 9, 2019)

Here are two coins I bough of the same type last year. The first I got because I thought it was a good price for a coin showing an historical event. The second I got for the fabulous provenance. I love them both!

My First ADVENTVS Coin
    7BC8CEB3-2647-4D9C-86A8-28CA49F19816.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
    AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
    Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
    Ref.: RIC IV 26b
    Ex. Savoca 23rd Blue Auction (Aug. 2019)

087B3207-BA30-4EC3-BE14-015E80D62996.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
    AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
    Dia.: 23 mm
    Wt.: 4.36 g
    Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
    Ref.: RIC IV 26b
    Ex David Kallai (ca. 1908-1924); Ex AMCC 2, lot 194 (Nov. 9, 2019)

3BF093DB-0820-4FD4-8773-7872073F7EA0.jpeg

16. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Al,
    I'm not specifically a Roman coin collector but still appreciate those who do.
    Seems that you got both coins at a good price so, if you can afford to,
    Keep Both of those puppies!
    Just a thought,
    J.T.

17. Al Kowsky

R.C. Are there 4 or 5 dots on that coin o_O? I presume it's from Antioch ?

18. Al Kowsky

Mike, That coin must have passed thru a lot of legionaries :smuggrin:.

19. Al Kowsky

Mat, That's a nice looking coin with silvering, & I like the huge letter A officina mark on the reverse :D.

20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I like both, and have no TG tet so far

Q

21. Al Kowsky

Valentinian, That's a nice looking example from the 2nd officina with great toning :D.

Draft saved Draft deleted