A Little Surprise

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by centsdimes, Sep 27, 2016.

1. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I collect mainly American coins, but my uncle died and his daughter sent me 60 of his coins, 25 of which were foreign. Of the foreign coins I saw nothing remarkable. One of the coins had a hole in it, but I thought I'd check it out on the internet, anyway. When I did, my eye caught the word "gold." (The coin was tarnished and it didn't occur to me it was gold.) I've never owned a gold coin before, but now I have one with a hole in it. I figure its value (meltdown) is about $110. 1819 New Granada 1 Escudo Obv.JPG 1819 New Granada 1 Escudo Rev.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That would be your cousin.. right? o_O

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not to be a downer, but that really doesn't look like gold. My first guess would be a reproduction or a formerly-plated contemporary counterfeit...?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Yes, that is my understanding.

7. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I suppose one reason I posted this was to get a confirmation that it really was gold, though it hadn't really occurred to me that it wasn't, unless I had misidentified the coin. They wouldn't counterfeit a common coin like this, would they? You think it's a reproduction?

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It isn't a reale?

9. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I believe it is a one escudo of the viceroyalty of New Granada.

10. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

300px-Spain_1868_10_escudos_obv_Ponterio_169-12272.jpg 300px-Spain_1868_10_escudos_rev_Ponterio_169-12272.jpg

After some research, I suspect it isn't gold. I found this coin and this statement on this webpage:

The fourth specimen was lot 12272 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $258. The catalog description[3]noted, "SPAIN. 10 Escudos, 1868. 3.56 gms. Isabella II (1833-1868). Types of Fr-332; KM-616.2. Contemporary circulating counterfeit in gilt platinum. Much of the gold wash has worn away, revealing the platinum from which this coin was made. CHOICE VERY FINE. From the Estate of Michael K. Ringo."

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Spain_1868_10_escudos_(68)

11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's a contemporary circulating counterfeit. These are actually valuable, especially the ones of gold escudos like yours. Unfortunately it has a hole, but it does not affect the value as much as it would had it been a genuine coin; the hole is likely a test punch and adds to the historical significance.
    I saw one like yours in a 4 escudo denomination sell for over $900 a few years back. It was in much better shape though. But either way this is a nice find that any collector of CC's would appreciate.

12. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Thank you for the good news.

13. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I did take the coin to a coin shop this morning and verified it is gold plated. Thank you, everybody, for bringing my attention to the fact it isn't a genuine gold coin.

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm not certain if it's gold plated platinum - I do own a gold plated platinum but this does not seem right. Overall it looks more like brass. The only proper way to verify this is to find out the density of this coin. I'm not too sure how this can be done but this is the only way to verify what it is. The hole makes it difficult to give an accurate reading of what the original weight is supposed to be.

15. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The OP coins is not platinum, the Spanish 10 escudos further down in the thread is :)

16. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

look how the higher areas in relief are brown because the plating wore off here first. The lower, protected areas are more gold in color. i can't imagine this thing being worth much but im unfamiliar with contemporary counterfeits as most dealers probably are. Best bet is sell it on ebay (if you're looking to sell)

17. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Centsdimes,
    What I find interesting about your coin is that the legend says Ferdinand VII but the portrait is that of his father, Carlos IIII. There are few that were struck that way because it took a while to get the official portrait out to the various mints. So in a way, it is an authentic fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted