A little rant about Buffalo Nickels.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JohnV, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Is it just me, or does the the Liberty nickel design seem more modern than the buffalo nickel? Buffalo nickels seem ancient compared to other coins from that time period. Why exactly do so many of them lose their dates? Were they just made very poorly? I just don't understand how they went from a beautiful design of the Liberty Nickel to such poorly made Buffalo nickels. Maybe I am just ignorant about all of this.
    As you can probably tell from this rant, I love Liberty Nickels and despise Buffalo's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The best thing about Liberty Nickels is that they stopped making them 100 years ago. Not sure you are gonna convince anyone that the letter V is more interesting than a buffalo. Anyway, Jefferson Nickels RULE!

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No.

Design.

We are, of course, entitled to our opinions, but most will disagree. Fraser's "Buffalo" design is artistically far superior to that of Ch. Barber's "Liberty".

To each his, or her, own.

TIF likes this.
  5. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, if you prefer Libs over Buffs, I have no issue, thats why we don't have just one flavor of ice cream. You are in the minority though. Many consider the Buff, one of the most beautiful coins ever minted. Now I do agree the Lib does look "more modern", but why is that better? The Lib is a low relief coin, with far less detail than the Buff, which is similar to our moderns, while the Buffalo is a high relief coin with a ton of detail.

Can a V really compare to that .........

1913t1buffrev_zps28ebd617.jpg

TIF, Coin-Dude, heuvy31 and 3 others like this.
  6. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

What is it about the design that makes the date wear off so easily compared to other coins back then?

7. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

What I meant about the Liberty nickel being more modern is that it seems like they were made with better quality, since they don't have issues with the dates disappearing.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

On most US Coins, the date is placed in the fields which protects it from wear. The date on the Buffalo nickel was placed on top of the devices which made it one of the high points of the design. The highest points of the design are the first to disappear due to wear on the coin.

jester3681 likes this.
  9. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Thank you, I understand now. I guess I am just a bit tired of seeing dateless buffs.:rolleyes:

10. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Buffalo nickels all day they are the best coins and one of my favorite designs they honor the american bison and the american indian both being pioneers of this great nation the buffalo nickel embodies are building block and the design is simply beautiful !!

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is hard to believe that anything could be less inspired than the V-nickel. Paint drying is more inspiring.

TIF, Lehigh96 and jester3681 like this.
  12. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

If I had 5 cents for every time ...

definer likes this.
  13. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I personally think the V nickel design is pretty bland, and I'd almost call it ugly...I definitely like the look of the buffalo nickel a lot more than the Liberty nickel...

14. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I think the turn of the century designs in general were kind of bland. I'm ready to hear it, but I think the Indian Cent, Liberty Nickel, Barber Dime, Quarter and Half, and the Morgan Dollar made for about the ugliest mint set in the history of US Coinage. Fast forward 25 years, you have the Wheat Cent, Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, Walking Liberty Half, and Peace Dollar. A much more charming set if you ask me. But we're all entitled to our own opinions. :D

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Take a look in your pocket.... do you still feel this way? ;)

bugo, JPeace$, mikem2000 and 2 others like this.
  16. Steve A Reno

Steve A Reno New Member

V Nickel.jpg

I thought a picture would jog your memory. It is a regal and classical looking coin to me. It's more official and less "trendy" than a buffalo. But the Buffalo design is more artistic. The V Nickel is for conservatives and the Buffalo is for liberals. Now that will get you going....

17. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Touche, sir. Touche.

18. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

:thumb:

19. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

As a staunch conservative who loves Buffalo nickels I have to object to that statement!

20. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

I can respect buffalo nickels and at this point do not feel the desire to collect them, but I do like Liberty Nickels better as of right now. I mainly like the reverse with the 'V' for the same reason I like the nickel Three Cent Piece. I just think its interesting because you dont see it that way on current coinage.

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I prefer the Buffalo nickel design, but both can be lovely coins and it is refreshing to read the opinions of a person who prefers the Liberty nickel.

Draft saved Draft deleted