A little overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nathan401, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

628701DB-14AA-4DBB-A0BB-64BC02CDA62E.jpeg I went to visit a private collection today that was for sale. This is what I walked away with. Most are un-attributed or simply labeled Ptolemaic Egypt BCE. I’m a little overwhelmed and don’t even know where to begin!!

Nyatii, Curtisimo, Paul M. and 43 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

A good start would be: to feel happy to have all these attractive coins! And weigh and measure them lovingly, and find out all the details. Great collection!

Paul M., arizonarobin and Nathan401 like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

OooooooooooooAhhhhhhhhhh!! Nice haul!!

They are all from Egypt (except the JC, of course). Sorting out the Ptolemaic coins can be a headache.

PtolemyBronze.com is the place to go for the bronze coins. Their denomination series page will probably be the most helpful (pictures and descriptions).

I'm not sure of the best free online resource for attributing the Ptolemaic tetradrachms. You can access Svoronos on the PtolemyBronze website (first page; descriptions and plates are separate... it's a bit of a pain). Some of that scholarship is going to be outdated though so you may find different attributions for the same coins in ACsearch.

The bottom three bronzes are from Roman Egypt. CNG's archives or ACsearch can help, or if you give up, I'll tell you what they are and provide the attributions (will need reverse images, of course).

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Now that looks like a fun group. Time to bring out the reference books...yay! To me researching the coins is almost as important as owning them. It is certainly fun.

I would be interested in seeing what reverse is on that JC.

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Nathan401

Thanks! I’m really excited for this group.same order as above: E2B0A04B-2B9A-4EEC-AD1A-8CDB3DF5CAE0.jpeg

7. Nathan401

5418F4CB-F7D3-47F4-8439-686F609D9717.jpeg

8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Nice finds!

Nathan401 likes this.
  9. Nathan401

I’ll work it all out, I’m just digging out my scale.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm going to hold off attributing those because they're well-preserved and I think you might enjoy doing it yourself :). If you get stuck, let me know.

11. Nathan401

I’ll let you know, I think I can do it. This was the largest coin purchase I’ve ever made at one time. I’m sure I did well, and this checked off several “must haves” for me.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I was notified by a moderator that my reply here was condescending to the poster. I apologize. My posts will be limited to matters of fact on types avoiding values and authenticity.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  13. Nathan401

I completely understand Doug. They’re all genuine, and I’ve never sold a coin in my life. Into the hoard they go. I’ll post individual photos once I attribute them, or if I need help. The reason I posted the group all at once was just excitement at buying such a large and (for me, anyway) expensive lot.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What Doug said. Have fun and I hope it all works out!

Nathan401 likes this.
  15. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Jealous! I'd love to have this 'problem'

Paul M., Nathan401 and Pellinore like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a really nice haul. As I mentioned in our discussion on the giveaway thread, I have not yet owned any Ptolemaic coins.

Nathan401 likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Love the glossy surfaces on that one on the right.

Nathan401 likes this.
  18. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

What an enjoyable prospect: to dive into research for such a beautiful set of coins.

Nathan401 likes this.
  19. Nathan401

Thanks, I’m starting with the big guys first, but right now I have to go to work:(. TIF’s links are a great resource.​

20. lordmarcovan

(Edit- this discussion was later addressed in a private message, as I probably should have done from the start)

Theodosius and ab initio like this.
  21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Everyone should have at least one Ptolemaic get, and more is even better. I have the addition of a second Ptolemaic Tet rather high in my want list.

IMG_20190617_200529546_HDR.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted