A little help in Identifying this 1869 Shield Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Having been an IHC enthusiast for 50+ yrs. I am woefully short on resources on identifying varieties of other US coin series. I have a third edition of cherry pickers and this coin isn't one of the six 1869s they have documented.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is an RPD as to the correct attribution I can look it up tomorrow if the variety is listed.
    Here's why....this series most probably has more varieties unknown then what are known.
    There are collectors as myself of this series but they are few and far between compared to other's.
    I have another reference I use that is out of print.
    Tomorrow I'll give it a go and see if you have a known or a discovery coin.

Cheech9712 and Hoky77 like this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I have the 1994 edition of Edward Fletcher's The Shield Five Cent Series, and your coin matches with his RPD F-404, wide date, obverse B, Reverse IIc. He doesn't give any additional info

Hoky77 and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Yes for sure it is a reverse llc, no broken star and other points lining up.
    These can be tricky as there are a lot of what looks to be an RPD that are MD.
    I knew it was a rpd just which one.. good call and reference.

Hoky77 and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Thank you, any help is much appreciated. I have an old copy of "Shield Nickel by Michael Wescott" a good intro but not much help with something like this.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You can guarantee that, there would have been close to 1000 die pairs for this date alone.

Heavymetal and Paddy54 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Well my references say <10,000 strikes before total failure. So just using 10K ÷ by the mintage 16,395,000 is definitely more tnen a 1000 pairs.

Hoky77 likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I was using a figure of 15,000 coins per pair. 10,000 was good for the with rays coins but die life got a little better with the removal of the rays and as they had a little more experience with coppernickel. I think by the end of the shield nickels they were up to around 23,000.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted