A little help getting this counterfeit coin and slab removed from eBay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Scropper, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Scropper

Scropper Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Reported, for what it's worth. Looks nothing like the NGC image (and, for that matter, nothing like a legit MS coin).

4. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

The number matches on NGC's website, can you explain what the tell-tales are for this being fake? Even if it's in a private message if you are trying to avoid exposing the fraud tells?

I see that it's a mirror finish and the one on the NGC site looks a bit hazy (definitely not Proof, and I can see the difference in the lower brown logo.

What else should I be looking at?

5. -jeffB

If it's a cameo proof, it should have a PR/PF grade, not an MS grade.

Look at the barcode on the eBay image and the NGC image. They're completely different.

Never mind all that, though -- just look at the date. There aren't even serifs on the digits! I'm thinking this one might have tripped my suspicions even if I'd come across it without any warning that it was fake.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  6. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Thank you! Learning and learning!

7. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

Any chance a heads up to NGC would help?

8. -jeffB

Seems like in a recent thread someone said that either PCGS or NGS said they wouldn't/couldn't do anything. Couldn't hurt to ask, though.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It's gone now. I clicked the link earlier and saw it, but it doesn't come up anymore.

10. Scropper

Scropper Member

Excellent, thanks for the help all! One more bad coin off the market. For now...

Draft saved Draft deleted