A little help for a project

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Sullysullinburg, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! So let me start of by explaining what I'm doing and what I need. For my World Civilizations class (Your standard 10th grade history type class) we have a project where we have to make a business that ultizes new technology. We have to use some type of assembly line and then one new technology for this time period (combining new and old technology). So here's my idea, a coin roll hunting company. The problem is I need numbers to back up my product. So here's what I'm asking, I need your guys coin roll hunting info. Below are some questions, feel free to answer as many as you would like. I have my own numbers but I think it would help to get a better number if I had more then one persons info. If you guys are interested I'll try to post updates on how the project is going. Here are the questions.

How many Indian Head Cents do you find per box? (Please express this as a fraction of cents per box or a number of boxes per cent)

How many Wheat Cents do you find per box? (If possible answer in a number per decade I.e. 2 1920's 5 1930's)

How many copper cents do you find per box? (A simple number of coins is fine)

How many Liberty "V" nickels do you find per box? (Display this the same way as the IH cents)

How many Buffalo nickels do you find per box? (Same way as the IH cents)

How many War Nickels do you find per box?

How many Mercury dimes do you find per box? (Same way as IH cents)

How many Roosies do you find per box?

How many silver quarters do you find per box?(Same way as the IH cents)

How many Wlaking Liberty Half Dollars do you find per box? (Same way as the IH cents)

How many Franklin Half Dollars do you find per box? (Same way as IH cents)

How many 90% Kennedy Half Dollars do you find per box?

How many 40% Kennedy half dollars do you find per box?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I don't search, but would be interested in the replies.

4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Interesting project. Admittedly, it has been some years since I searched rolls, but I can still tell you out of 1 box of cents I got from the bank, I found only 2 wheat cents (1955 S, and 1945). About 28% of the cents were copper. This was during 2007, if this helps answer your question.

5. dantheman2745

dantheman2745 New Member

post this in coin roll hunting

6. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I have done this for the most part and have the averages for a few hundred bags for this year. I can email you an excel file or give you one some how.

7. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Sully,

"we have to make a business that ultizes new technology."

Is this getting graded on feasibility or profitability? Payback period for investors? Intial funding?

I wouldn't call this a business, yet a hobby. One that I believe is ROI negative even if you work for free.

The big hang ups I see are
    1. Where are you going to get inventory? Your inventory is leveraged on your relationship with local banks who get shipments from the US Mint or other banking instituions I guess.
    2. Do you have proprietary technology that creates a competitive advantage for your business to survive?
    3. You cannot afford to hire anybody because you are going to make such little profit.
    etc,etc,etc, too many problems to list.

These hangs up can cause your business to disappear in a blink of an eye. I could be overthinking this, but its the MBA in me.

Side question, are you invovled in sports and/or clubs? Just curious, you seem to be a bright kid.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I understand this is only for a school project, but this "business", if anything but a sole proprietorship run without care of profit, would sink faster than the Titanic. Is it possible your teacher would prefer something more viable and sustainable, and well, realistic?

EasyE418 likes this.
  9. EasyE418

We are thinking the same thing.

I think creating a Lemonade Stand empire is a more realistic way to turn a profit. :D (I am being sarcastic, don't use this idea, not profitable or realistic once so ever)

Not to "rain on your parade", Sully. I like how your are using your hobby and trying to incorporate that. I give you "kudos" points for that, but rethink the idea for the grade.

10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

If you're not getting graded on the profitability of your process, I'd say go for it. If profitability is a big part of your grade, you may want to choose something else. Regardless of which way you go, this is a cool idea.

If it ever becomes legal to melt the 95% copper cents someday, I wouldn't be surprised if people would try this as an actual business. Then again, separating the copper from the other metals could prove too costly for such a thing to work.

11. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

2. About 25; very rare - 30's and below, rare - 40's, common - 50's
    3. About 1250
    5. About 1

Sorry, that's all i could answer.

12. BooksB4Coins

I fully expect it to be attempted, and even today we see hints of it with the hoarding of "copper" cents, but the problem, short of a substantial increase in the price of copper, is that cents are an alloy whereas the common quoted price is for grade A. A few minutes speaking with a refiner should quickly put to rest any notions of easy profit, so you certainly the nail on the head by saying it could prove to be too costly.

If profits are a consideration in this little project, it is only right that Sully understand that there's not likely a pot at the end of this rainbow. Truth be told, the easiest profits from "copper" cents almost certainly come from those selling them bulk as, ahem, "investments" to people who don't know any better, but I'm not sure his teacher would be pleased with such a business plan.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

1 box = $25.00 or 2500 pennies
    Indian Head Cents 1 or 2
    Wheat Cents about 175 give or take a few
    Copper Cents 600 to 700

I only search penny rolls so I can't give answers to the others. Sounds like a fun project. You don't state you need to be profitable so hopefully you don't. If your project is based solely on your criteria then this will hopefully help. I might add, utilize a scale into your project, that alone weeds out the zinc cents. Personally, I would like to hear updates on your project. Given your age and hobby, I think it's a great way to learn about coins, manufacturing, and it's shows you have great interest. Best wishes. :)

NSP likes this.
  14. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Brother, i don't know where you get your rolls from, but it's probably from God.

ThinnPikkins, Daniel Jones and NSP like this.
  15. Sullysullinburg

This is in coin roll hunting?

Sure, I will pm you my email so you can send it over. Thanks.

Ok well here is my plan. I was hoping to hire Brinks or another like service to deliver coins. I emailed one of their reps and I am waiting for a response on the cost associated. Your second question I'm not 100% percent sure this is the right answer but, this isn't real so I don't need a competitive advantage. My plan was to hire people to do more work. More coins sorted more money that could be made. The number is determined by the number of theses coins I can find per box. congrats on having an MBA its something I might try to do. Yes I play football, hockey and, rugby. Also I am involved in some club (I don't have much free time between sports and school). Idk how I seem bright but I will take it.

See above.

See above also.

Yeah I know very little about smelting metals but, I do think people will try it.

Thanks for the info. Anything is helpful.

Well I don't need to say who I am selling them too, or even prove how much I can sell. I just need number to back up that it could work.

Wow you are far luckier then me. Also I was planning on having a mass operation. If people want me to I can try to write it out here (On the project we have a picture or a drawing of how our line will work).

Thanks for all the help so far.

16. BooksB4Coins

Fair enough, but from a personal standpoint, would you really want to take that route? With that said, I'm sure you could get an idea of completed price ranges off of eBay, and there are a few websites that sell them as well. Certain machines are used to do the sorting, so the total cost of acquisition must be factored in as paying someone to sort by hand just isn't feasible.

As for hiring employees, it's unrealistic as the chances of you ever being able to profit enough to even pay minimum wage salaries, not to mention other costs of having employees, is near zero; there's a good reason why it is recommended roll searching be done only for fun.

It's an interesting project and I certainly look forward to the results, but if the focus is on a viable business and not just doing something hobby-related, there is much to be considered. Good luck.

17. Sullysullinburg

Yes I was planning on getting some sort of sorting equipment to speed the process along. as for the employees they would only be fore unwrapping the coins to be put in the sorter. Everything else I would try to do with machines.

18. EasyE418

Sully,

Well, it appears since it isn't real, then yes, who cares about a competitive advantage. If I was the teacher, I'd make the students come up with the real deal.

Good about the sports. Don't let coin collecting take up too much of your time.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I've made good friends at my local bank. All the tellers save customer wrapped rolls, the silver coins, star notes and odd serial numbered bills. It pays to have friends in the right places. :)

20. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

I average about the same. I will never make any money doing this. I am 70 and enjoy working with my grandkids going through the rolls. Good babysitting idea and keeps them away from the TV and their electronic games for an hour or 2 and we get a little bit of history involved also

Collecting Nut likes this.
  21. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I keep track of what i make doing it down to the cent and have made around $900 profit this last year, if you send my some email adress I can send you the excel file I have the info on.

Draft saved Draft deleted