A Lil' Seleukid Silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Just got this little hemidrachm delivered today. This isn't an area that I historically collect, but I was fascinated with it's tiny size, as we see lots of larger tetradrachms day-in-day-out on the forum. This lil' guy is only 13mm and 1.46g. It is pretty neat seeing this Seleukid bust style like you see on those large tets on this tiny flan.

CollageMaker_20191204_210022938.jpg
    Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos), Ruled 121/0-97/6 BC
    AR Hemidrachm, Antioch on the Orontes mint
    Struck 112-111/0 BC
    Obverse: Diademed head right.
    Reverse: Nike advancing left, holding wreath; to outer left, monogram above N.
    References: SC 2305c; HGC 9, 1210
    Size: 13mm, 1.46g

When I got it in hand, the obverse bust was in better condition that what I thought from the buyers photos. Plus, as you turn it in the light, it has some really nice blue/purple iridescence on the reverse and a bit of blue on the obverse.
    CollageMaker_20191204_210639994.jpg
    And CNG says it's rare, ta boot!

• Do you have a smaller-than-tet Seleukid silver?
    • Or do you have another Antiochos VIII of any other denomination? (including tet)
    • Or anything else you find relevant?

Clavdivs, Edessa, TheRed and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Nice little hemidrachm @Justin Lee, smaller denominations were increasingly less minted during the late Seleukid empire, it seems that how smaller the fraction how more rare they become. The fact that they did in fact got minted meant that there was somehow a demand for these smaller fractions.

His tetradrachm:
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos) (121/0-97/6 B.C.) AR Tetradrachm. 2nd reign at Antioch. Antiochia on the Orontes mint, 112-111/10 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochos VIII to right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANTIOXOY - EΠIΦANOYΣ Zeus Ouranios standing front, head to left; holding star in his right hand and long scepter in his left; above, crescent; to left, monogram above A; to inner right, Δ; all within laurel wreath.
    Reference: SC 2302.1f.
    16.26g; 27mm

and a drachm:
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos) (121/0-97/6 B.C.) AR Drachm. 3rd reign at Antioch. Antiochia on the Orontes mint, 109-96 B.C.
    Obverse: Diademed head of Antiochos VIII to right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANTIOXOY - EΠIΦANOYΣ. Tripod; monogram over Γ to outer left.
    Reference: SC 2310; HGC 9, 1209.
    3.74g
    Ex Shlomo Moussaieff Collection, London, 1948 - 2000.

Talking about fractions, here is an extremely rare bronze of Antiochos VIII, in the smallest bronze denomination possible, a quarter unit. These tiny bronze fractions, as the silver fractions, are not minted very often.
    As far as I know only @David@PCC has one and a few examples in catalogs (but who knows some private collectors have them, we never know if they do not share their collection on the internet).

[​IMG]
    Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (121/0-97/6 B.C.) Æ Denomination E (quarter), struck circa 109-96 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Antiochus VIII right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIФANOYΣ (“of King Antiochos the Illustrious”), Rose. Outer left PE control.
    Reference: SC 2316; HGC 9, 1227(R3).
    2.33g; 13mm

TheRed, tibor, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I was this close to bidding on that one, congratulations. I believe this one is unpublished with a new monogram. Can I use it for my site? It looks like an H where known examples are an N.
    The smallest I am aware of is a hemiobol which weighs just 1/3 of a gram!

g267.jpg
    Antiochos VIII
    Mint: Sidon
    AR Tetradrachm
    116/115 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochos right within fillet border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIФANOYΣ, Zeus Ouranios standing left, holding star and scepter. Outer left, ΣIΔΩ IEP Σ٩P in three lines above monogram. Date in exergue, all within wreath.
    28x30mm, 16.22g
    Ref: SC 2330.2

g153.jpg
    Antiochos VIII
    Mint: Antioch
    AR Drachm
    109 to 96 BC
    Obvs: Antiochos diademed head right, within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Tripod. PE on left
    17mm, 3.8g
    Ref: SNG Is. 2525, SC 2310

g291.jpg
    Antiochos VIII
    Mint: Antioch on the Orontes
    Denomination E
    109 to 96 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus VIII right, dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIФANOYΣ, Rose. Outer left PE control.
    AE 12x13mm, 1.76g
    Ref: SC 2316; HGC 10, 1227(R3)

g046.jpg
    Antiochos VIII
    97 BC
    Obvs: Head of Antiochos right radiate within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Two cornucopias. PE* to left.
    AE 20mm, 8.8g
    Ref: SNG Isr 2560, SC 2312.1a

g165.jpg
    Alexander I
    AR Drachm
    151 to 149 BC
    17mm, 4.2g
    Obvs: No inscription. Head of Alexander right.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY ΘEoΠATOPoΣ EYEPГETOY, Apollo seated. Monogram below
    Ref: SNG Isr.195.1397, SC 1785.1e

Another Victory
    g307.jpg
    Antiochus X
    Antioch on the Orontes
    94 BC
    Obvs: Diademed and bearded head of Antiochus right.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOV EVΣEBOYΣ ΦIΛOΠATOPOΣ, Nike advancing left holding wreath.
    AE 15x17mm, 4.86g
    Ref: SC 2433

Pavlos, TheRed, tibor and 11 others like this.
  5. Justin Lee

Thanks for sharing your coins, @Pavlos & @David@PCC!
    For sure! PM me if you need anything specific from me.

tibor likes this.
  6. I would like to collect these really really old coins however I don't know squat about them . Can anyone recommend some good books [ not E ] on the subject. On that note our library is neither large of well stocked . Thanks H

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. Justin Lee

I'd suggest checking out this thread and the links within... Lots of great resources mentioned.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-beginners’-faq-thread.324858/

8. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

One of my favorites from long ago, an earlier Antiochus with a wonderful little round ticket included:
    Greek_Seleukid_AntiochusIV_AE32.jpg
    Seleucid Kingdom. Antiochus IV Epiphanes (175-164 BC). Æ 34 (38.4g, 1h). "Egyptianizing" series, Antioch on the Orontes mint, Autumn 169-Summer/Autumn 168 BC. Obv: Laureate head of Serapis right, wearing taenia with Osiris cap at tip; dotted border. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ; Eagle with closed wings standing right on thunderbolt. Ref: SC 1413; HGC 9, 643.

9. Justin Lee

That is really cool! When I first saw it I was like, "that's Ptolemaic" but nope! Great chunky coin!

Edessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted