A later FEL TEMP Galley from Lugdunum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 26, 2017.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I am dabbling with the various FEL TEMP types and stumbled across the following coin. I have several Galley typecoins but this is the first time I have found one of these smaller ones. The later Galley issues are only 16-18 mm rather than the usual 21-23 mm.

I hd never seen one of these small ones in person before and am very happy with it.

Constantius II - AE3

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right, A behind bust
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding phoenix on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley
    Minted in Lugdunum (//*SLG). A.D. 348-350.
    Reference:- RIC VIII Lugdunum 97 (R)

17 mm

Ex Col. Hermann-Joseph Lückger, Germany (1864-1951). Lückger was a German entrepreneur in the textile industry and amateur historian and collector of art.

[​IMG]

Martin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coin Martin. The reverse is especially pleasing.

4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Bonus points for the provenance.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Hice lookin' LRB!

Here's an 18 mm Constans one from Trier, not very pretty other than the color.

100_5978.JPG

This one has an unintentional artificial patina of sorts. This was an uncleaned lot coin, the blue color appeared when I baked it to dry the coin. I had never seen a coin do that before.

Here it is when it came out of the oven...

[​IMG]

Wish I had a before pic....it was green.

Here's the original pic after I brushed off the loose blue stuff...

[​IMG]

That was 4 years ago, it hasn't changed since. My photography is a hell of a lot better though!

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

The very nice for a smaller one. Nice addition. I only have 4 galley FTRs, all larger ones. There's also a Lückger coin on my wish list I'm thinking on getting.

cnsglftr12.jpg

stevex6, Curtisimo, dlhill132 and 8 others like this.
  7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My memory isn't quite as sharp as it once was. But it seems like 7 or 8 months ago there was some blue ancients that people were paying more for them because the blue patina.
    I at the time was just beginning to and only had a few ancient coins.
    Maybe it was the type or hoard I don't recall.

gregarious likes this.
  8. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Gert Boersema is selling that collection and seems to have some interesting coins from that collector. I bought a Magnentius with that provenance myself.

gregarious likes this.
  9. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Nice pickup on your ae3 Martin, It's sharp.

Doug

Draft saved Draft deleted