a late roman bronze and a indian shahi coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by smolsketchkid, Jan 28, 2018.

1. smolsketchkid

smolsketchkid Member

Hi! I got these two ancient coins and I am wondering if you can make out any ruler or time period of each coin. One is a late roman bronze coin and the other is a indian coin from around the year 1000. I want your opinion about the coins origin and age. Thank you for looking at my thread! IMG_2597.JPG IMG_9896.JPG IMG_8797.JPG IMG_4611.JPG

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I can't make out any detail on the roman coin but the style would suggest Valens, Valentinian, or Gratian, so the timing would be the 360s to the latter 370s.

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That Roman reverse type dates from around 378 - 383 A.D. I've seen examples of Gratian, Valentinian II and Theodosius I. Arcadius also reigned during this time, but I don't recall ever seeing a bronze of his with this reverse. Here's one of Gratian:
    [​IMG]
    AE II
    Undetermined mint, A.D. 378-383
    Obv: D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG
    Rev: REPARATIO REIPVB - Emperor, standing, facing left, holding Victory on globe and raising kneeling turreted woman
    Mint mark off flan
    23mm, 5.5g.

6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The bull and horseman jital i think shows a Nagari "Te" in front of the horseman. Making this a Tye#29 type. This likely dates from slightly before the reign period of the Hindu Delhi Rajas.

Draft saved Draft deleted