A Interesting 1864 Bronze No L IHC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

This is a great coin featuring a very advanced die state, showing heavy flow lines not only around the rim but in the fields and the devices of the portrait and motto. There is little to no apparent wear and the weakness in the features are because the strike came from a very worn die set nearing the end of service. This example definitely does not have proof like surfaces ! IMG_6296.JPG IMG_6297.JPG IMG_6294.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I’m not going to lie, my first inclination was that this coin is a fake. The color and the random lumps and uneven surfaces would have scared me away. Admittedly, I’m not super familiar with these.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am like you. My first inclination was altered surfaces. That is a darned interesting and educational piece.

Hoky77, Penna_Boy and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

That is why I posted this. I am actually curious as to how many die sets make it to this stage. I believe it isn't many and now will be on a quest to find out. Here are a couple of pics of two IHC's I picked up that haven't as much erosion and the dies probably weren't in service much longer after these strikes. I bought the first as a unattributed variety and submitted some pics to Mr Poliquin hoping for a find. He was aware of the die set and has a high grade example and will do the attribution when he finds the time. He requested that I send these two examples for the different die states. IMG_6299.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6304.JPG

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Please keep us posted!

Hoky77 likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice

Hoky77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted