A Humble 'Germania Capta'

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Nov 23, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

When one thinks of Domitian's Germania Capta series grand sestertii with masterful reverses and beautifully struck denarii come to mind. My latest coin shows that even the most modest of denominations was employed in the propaganda onslaught to celebrate the victory.

D247.jpg Domitian
    Æ Quadrans, 2.48g
    Rome Mint, 84-85 AD
    Obv: IMP DOMIT AVG GERM; Trophy
    Rev: S C in field; Olive branch
    RIC 247 (R). BMC 494. BNC 534.
    Acquired from London Ancient Coins, November 2020.

Domitian struck a fairly large issue of undated quadrantes early in his reign. RIC places them within the 84-85 time period based on Domitian titled as 'Germanicus' ('GERM' - which could only be post 83) and before 85 (after which all these small issues were dated). RIC also speculates many of these quadrantes were struck 'al marco', i.e. by batch weight, because of the variable weights encountered on many specimens. This type featuring a trophy on the obverse is an obvious reference to the recent war with the Germanic Chatti and should be considered part of the Germania Capta series.

Feel free to post any humble or modest coins.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Excellent find! I have been finding this denomination for Domitian to be very tempting. There are some really nice designs on these coins. Yours could not be any better in terms of the subject matter on both the obverse and reverse.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin David.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I quite like imperial coins without a portrait ... they offer something a little different.

Draft saved Draft deleted