A honey of a coin: Philip I provincial with beehive

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, May 9, 2015.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's no marvel of ancient artistry but beehive? I didn't know any were depicted on ancient coins! I'm always happy to add an inexpensive yet interesting coin.

THRACE-Deultum-PhilipI-Beehive.jpg
    THRACE, Deultum. Philip I "The Arab"
    CE 244-249
    AE16, 3.05 gm
    Obv: PHILIPPVS IMP M I; laureate, draped, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield
    Rev: C-F P-D in two lines across fields, beehive on a base
    Ref: Varbanov 3041 corr. (rev. description; Varbanov describes the beehive as on a temple, similar to the known type of Philip II, but on this coin it appears to be a simple base or stand)

AncientThrace-Deultum.jpg
    Map of ancient Trace courtesy of Forvm (edited)

Founded by Vespasian and settled with Legio VIII Augusta veterans, this city on the west cost of Lake Mandren began striking coins under Trajan. After the single small denomination Trajan issue there was a gap in minting until Caracalla's sole reign, with issues produced thereafter from each emperor through Philip I.

The beehive (skep) on this coin would have been made of wicker or straw covered with dung or mud; other ancient skeps were made from stone or clay. There would be one small hole near the bottom for bee entrance and egress. Skeps are still used by some apiarists today although modern hive systems are easier to use and healthier for the colony.

Examples of skeps:

Skeps_edited-1.jpg
    images from (left to right): marthanewton.com, Ciro's loft, Hudson Antiques

Apiculture and honey trivia:
    • Mankind has engaged in apiculture since at least ~2600 BCE (Egypt)
    • Ancient Israel, "the land of milk and honey", imported Turkish bees since their local bees were difficult to domesticate and produced far less honey (side note: the honey of "land of milk and honey" Biblical fame probably refers to fruit nectar, not bee spit.
    • Honey bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey
    • Honey has antiseptic properties and historically was often used as a dressing for wounds and a first aid treatment for burns and cuts.
    • Honey is alluded to in the Sumerian and Babylonian cuneiform writings, the Hittite code, the sacred writings of India, the Vedas and in the ancient writings of Egypt.

"Honey is either the exudation of the sky or a sort of sap of stars, or a juice released by the air." - Pliny

"The only reason for being a bee that I know of is making honey... and the only reason for making honey is so I can eat it." - Winnie the Pooh

Post your beehives, bees, coins of Deultum, apiculture trivia, or whatever. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool. I've seen hives on ancients before.

TIF likes this.
  4. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

According to the account which the Thracians give, the country beyond the Danube is possessed by bees, on account of which it is impossible to penetrate farther. But in this they seem to me to say what has no likelihood; for it is certain that those creatures are very impatient of cold. I rather believe that it is on account of the cold that the regions which lie under the Bear are without inhabitants. Such then are the accounts given of this country, the sea-coast whereof Megabazus was now employed in subjecting to the Persians.

TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting! Do you have a link to the written account of the Thracians? I'd like to read it. As you can tell from the superficial writeup, I haven't done much research on this coin.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Lovely coin and interesting write-up TIF!!!

I'm not sure if I have ever noticed a coin with a bee-hive----unless in passing at an auction or in some publication. Unfortunately, I doubt I have anything similar to post.

TIF likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

After we spoke of this coin in PM, I went looking at the various beehive types of Deultum. They all look like they're on some sort of simple stand. However, I did run across this coin of Philip I, whose reverse is described as "onion-shaped object on temple." Is this a beehive? Perhaps that's where the temple confusion comes in.

beehive temple.jpg

Pishpash, dlhill132, JBGood and 8 others like this.
  8. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, that is probably the variety which led to the mis-entry in Varbanov which was subsequently recopied in various auction house descriptions.

10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool coin and background. My biggest hindrance to buying ancients is lack of knowledge.

WDF and TIF like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Aw shucks. This is only a bee grade coin.

zumbly, TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I have a Bee from Ephesus. Nice job... Honey!

10967901_878035438928453_2012597242_n.jpg

Pishpash, Eng, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, TIF => this coin is the bee's knees!!

With this new addition, you've quickly become our Coin-Queen-Bee!!

bee gal.jpg

;)

I have already placed it atop my wish-list (fantastic and unique reverse!!)

Pishpash, Eng, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fascinating little coin! After seeing the "beehive on top of temple" variety I was just confused over the oddness of the very notion of a giant beehive sitting on top of a temple (the ancients worshipped monstrous giant bees!!).
    Then, of course I realised that the temple must simply be a decorative motif for the stand. Doh...
    A little more digging and I found this Tranquillina in CNG's sale records sensibly described as "Beehive set on base; base decorated with pentastyle temple façade".
    image.jpg
    It goes without saying that now I want one too...

Pishpash, dlhill132, JBGood and 7 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice sleuthing, Z. I think we've come closer to solving the beehive/temple mystery. But the coin I posted still poses the question: what the hell?? :confused:

WDF, TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. zumbly

The ancients worshipped monstrous giant onions!! :blackalien:

Pishpash, WDF and TIF like this.
  17. zumbly

The honey thickens...
    This page by Bill Welch on sacred stones on ancient coins covers this type from Deultum (near the bottom):
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/baetyl_coins.html

He suggests that beehive is the least likely possibility of what we're seeing here. More likely he thinks are baetyl or fountain.

WDF and TIF like this.
  18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

awesome coin TIF, i would never have guessed what that was on the reverse. i have a couple books about ancient medicine, i'll paraphrase one i have called "man and wound in the ancient world: by R. A. Gabriel.

it (honey) was first used by the egyptians as a wound dressing, they would also combine it with salt which increased its antibiotic properties. this combination probably was the best antimicrobial substanced produce until 19th century (lister, carbolic acid).
    when tested in a lab recently it was as effective as modern antibiotics against some strains of common pathogenic bacteria.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    WDF, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Interesting. How much more was lost to unrecorded/looted/destroyed history?

WDF and TIF like this.
  20. zumbly

TIF likes this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, that's quite a thread! Definitely food for thought.

Until this matter is further investigated, perhaps the description should read

Rev: C-F P-D in two lines across fields; thing.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    WDF and zumbly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted