A Henry Binge - Grandfather and Grandson

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TheRed, Feb 7, 2018.

1. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I've been on a bit of a coin binge lately and for some reason have been picking up English pennies. In the last few weeks I purchased three pennies, one of Henry II and two of Henry III. Henry II was the creator of the Angevin Empire and one of the most powerful men in 12th century Europe. His grandson, Henry III, was a largely ineffectual king of England that was deposed on one occasion and had to fend off a French invasion of England on another.
    Henry II AR Penny Short Cross .png
    Henry II AR Penny Short Cross type Class 1b1, 1180-1182 AD Northampton mint, Willem moneyer.
    19.5mm 1.40g
    Obv: hENRICVS REX; Crowned bust holding scepter.
    Rev: +WILLELM ON NOR; Voided short cross w/ quatrefoils in angles.
    SCBC.1344 North.963

Henry III AR Short Cross 7b .jpg
    Henry III AR Penny Short Cross type Class 7b, 1222-1236 AD London mint, Ilger moneyer.
    19mm 1.40g
    Obv: hENRICVS REX; Crowned bust holding scepter.
    Rev: +ILGER ON LVND; Voided short cross w/ quatrefoils in angles.
    SCBC.1356b North.979

Henry III AR Voided Long Cross 1b-2a .jpg

Henry III AR Penny Voided Long Cross type Class 1b/2a mule, 1248-1250 AD, London mint, Nicole moneyer.
    18mm 1.40g
    Obv: hENRICVS REX ANG; Crowned bust.
    Rev: NIC OLE ONL VND; Voided long cross w/ three pellets in angles.
    SCBC.1360 North.984
    Rare

Feel free to post any medieval coins, pairs of coins of grandfathers and grandsons, binge purchases, or anything you feel like.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Sweet medieval coins! I'd love to get one of these, on the list!

TheRed likes this.
  4. alde

alde Always Learning

Your building a nice collection of pennies. I'm sure glad there are a few of us on here that can appreciate them. Here's a Henry III and brother John. I promise to take more pictures soon. I'm sure you guys are tired of seeing the same old coins. Henry III AR Penny Willem on Cant S-1362A Class 3a2.jpg John AR Penny 1199  to 1216 S 1351.jpg

TheRed, Curtisimo, Orfew and 7 others like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

TheRed likes this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I have yet to snag a HII from England, but do have an Aquitaine issue:

Med-05a-FAqu-1152-Henry II-D-2-1a.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Henry II, r. 1152-1168
    Bordeaux Mint, BL Denier, 16.57mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +hENRICVS REX, cross pattée
    Rev.: º+º / AQVI / TANI / ºEº, in four lines
    Ref.: AGC 2 (1/a), Duplessy 1030, Roberts 3881, SCBC 8001
    Ex. R.D. Frederick Collection. Ex. A.H. Baldwin

Med-09a-Eng-1248-Henry III-D-3bc-London-Nicole-987-1 O.jpg
    Med-09a-Eng-1248-Henry III-D-3bc-London-Nicole-987-1 R.jpg
    England
    Henry III, r. 1216-1272 (1248-50)
    London Mint, AR Long Cross Penny, 18.28mm x 1.5 grams
    Obv.: ★hENRICVS REX.III'. Crowned round head facing, heavy beards with three pellets each side a central pellet
    Rev.: NIC OLE ONL VND. Long cross voided with three pellets in each angle
    Ref.: North 987/1, SCBC 1363 ; H3 Ref. LNNC3003, De Witt 3208-14

(Apologies for the oversized images - my combined photo wouldn’t load for some reason...)

Nice Henries, Red!

Attached Files:

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great Henries. I'd love to pick up some English Medieval coins. I have one Crusader state denier, Bohemund of Tripolis, but that's it for the period. Byzantine coins are not apparently considered Medieval, I guess.

TheRed likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice pennies @TheRed

How about the wife of Henry II? Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Eleanor.jpg

9. Rob P

Rob P Junior Member

TheRed likes this.
  10. alde

alde Always Learning

How about a Henry II Tealby issue. These always look pretty rough. Henry II Tealby Penny.png

TheRed, FitzNigel, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ooo... I’d really like a Tealby

alde likes this.
  12. alde

alde Always Learning

There out there but they can get pretty expensive for really nice ones. The ones with more or less complete legends seem quite rare.

13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Yea, that’s my problem. I keep holding out for a sharp one, which always get pricey...

14. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Thanks for the coin praise everyone. Those are great coins @alde your John penny is a beauty. I agree, it is great having a few other people on this forum that like ancient coins.

@FitzNigel I really want an Anglo-Gallic Henry II denier, that is a great coin you have.

Your Eleanor denier is wonderful @Orfew I have one of them on my 2018 want list. If only one would come up for auction.

I have a few Tealby pennies, this is my nicest:
    20180208_212141.jpg
    It is missing almost all of the obverse legend, but as alde said these are usually poorly struck as a rule. The state of English pennies from Henry I to late Henry II was pretty poor.

15. Orfew

@TheRed A tealby penny is definitely on my list. Yours is nice and better than most I have seen.

16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I feel you on the Eleanors - I probably overpaid for mine, but I hadn’t seen any for a while so I pulled the trigger anyway:
    Med-05a-FAqu-1185-Eleanor-D-9B-1a.jpg
    French Feudal, Aquitaine
    Eleanor, r. 1185-1204
    AR Denier, 17.86mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: + DVCISIT, M above, A below, two cross pattee on either side
    Rev.: + AQVITANIE, Cross Pattee inside
    Ref.: AGC 9B (1/a), Duplessy 1025 (Anonymous of William X), Roberts 4313, SCBC 8011, De Wit 401

I’ll probably upgrade at some point. HI and Stephen are tough - my criteria has been good/decent portrait, and enough of the legend to be able to identify it. My Stephen fits that fine, but my HI is a bit of a stretch - it was just a tiny element on the reverse legend that allowed me to figure out the mint/moneyer:

Med-09a-Eng-1125-Henry I-D-15-Bury St. Edmunds-Gilebert-871.jpg
    England
    Henry I, r. 1100-1135 (1125-1135)
    Bury St. Edmunds AR Penny, 17.16 mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +hEN[R]I[CVS]. Bust facing crowned and diademed, head three-quarters left, sceptre in right hand
    Rev.: [+]G[ILEBE]RT[:ON]:E[DM]N. Quadrilateral with incurved sides and lis at each angle over cross fleury
    Ref.: North 871, SCBC 1276, De Wit 3186

Med-09a-Eng-1136-Stephen-D-Watford-London-Adelard-1278.jpg
    England
    Stephen, r. 1135-1154 (c. 1136-45)
    London Mint, AR Watford Type Penny, 19.17mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: S[TIEFNE RE]X. Bust right, crowned and diademed, holding sceptre in right hand
    Rev.: ADEL[ARD : ON : LVN]. Cross moline with fleur in each angle
    Ref. North 873, SCBC 1278, CC99 ST1D-005, De Wit 3189

17. Orfew

I do not have a Henry I, but I do have this Stephen. I know it is rough but I still like it.

Stephen_Penny2_HHC4387sm.jpg

18. alde

alde Always Learning

A Stephen is high on my list. I'm learning one can't be too picky when it comes to his and the Henry II Tealby pennies. Even just identifiable Steven's get good money.

19. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins @FitzNigel and @Orfew
    I would love to have a penny of Stephen. One theory I read regarding their poor quality, and I wish I could remember where, was that the moneyers purposefully struck the coins that way so as to obscure their participation in Stephen's royal operations. That way, if empress Maude won the war they could deny their involvement and hopefully avoid retribution. It is a interesting theory.

Orfew likes this.
  20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I have heard that theory too - but likewise can’t remember from where. I double checked my initial post on this Steohen coin, but did not record where the theory came from. Perhaps I read it in Spufford? Or maybe Grierson’s Medieval coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted