A guide book of United States Coins R.S. Yeoman 1947 first printing

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CajunCoin78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

There is a large difference in price between first and second printing. I would check to see which printing it was, as this is very important information to know. If you google it I believe you can find the differences to look for.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

This is indeed a first printing. Pg. 135 has the wording "which probably accounts for the scarcity of this date" the second printing changed this wording to "the scarcity of 1903 O"

4. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

reading-on-toilet.gif i bet you that book has some good reading material

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thank you.

You rang?

And, I'm gonna get 'cha!

Okay, here we go:

Yes, 1st edition, 1st printing.

However, check the rear to be sure that there aren't any color pictures. There is a reprint that was done, and it is very similar.
    In fact identical, except for the color in the rear.

That said:
    the book looks to be in VG condition, [Note: Books are graded very differently from coins.]

Nice pick up.

Note that coins have done well in this recession, however, books have taken a bigger hit.

6. Treashunt

They have a considerable impact on the value.

7. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. There are no color pages in this one. Page numbering stops at pg. 254 with an additional page of coin folder info on page 255.

8. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

Another question I have is that all pages are intact and the spine is nearly undamaged but the inside binding has separation on the back side. Should I attempt to fix this or will it effect the value of the book?

9. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I was just getting ready to refer the OP to you Frank. An intact copy with notations may add considerable " Collector " value. Great find and good luck with purchasing it.

10. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

I actually own this. picked it up at a pawn shop yesterday. Looking to see what the estimated value is in this condition.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Unless, of course, it was Q. David Bowers' book at one time.......:)

12. Hamhawk

Hamhawk Member

I wouldn't. Therer are people who do this sort of thing professionaly, and if its not done correctly you could really decrease the value. Or worse cause permanent damage. I'm not entirely sure how having it professionaly repaired would effect the value, but a DIY job, is a bad idea.

13. Treashunt

Yes.

NO! Don't attempt to repair it. Any attempt will further diminish any value. Book collectors are very picky.

Ken, Ken, Ken.... Only you.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

[spoken with his best Charlie Chan accent] Old Chinese proverb.......never miss chance to be a smart alec.......:)

15. Treashunt

hey, alex is my son!

oops, alec?

16. Treashunt

oops, I forgot to mention, those are retail prices.

17. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

Ok thanks I will not attempt to fix the binding. The notations are seen in the pics on page one of this thread. The original owner placed small "x's" in pencil near some of the coins he are she aquired I guess.

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

19. CajunCoin78

CajunCoin78 New Member

20. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

edited

Post a Link here so folks can find it easier.

21. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

That would be a no-no, but he could post it in the advertising forum.

edited

Draft saved Draft deleted