Featured A Group of Interesting Coins: Greek Edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Aug 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I recently noticed that I have accumulated quite a few coins that are interesting enough to warrant their own thread but that I have been too busy to post a write up for. As such I thought it might be fun for me to group some of these coins together by category and give short explanations for why I think they are interesting.

This write up will cover Greek coins. Next I will post a thread covering a few Roman coins and then finish with a thread that includes Byzantine and Medieval coins. Hopefully the board will enjoy these vignette style threads.

A special thank you to @Ryro , whose generosity in a holiday exchange a few months ago gave me the opportunity to own two of the below coins.

A Obscure Satrap who Almost Changed History
    C026D051-DB6A-49CA-863F-E3A2849E0F9F.jpeg
    Achaemenid Empire
    Spithridates as Satrap
    AE10, mint in Ionia or Lydia, struck 334 BC
    Dia.: 10 mm
    Wt.: 1.5 g
    Obv.: Head of Spithridates right, wearing bashlyk
    Rev.: Forepart of horse right; TO monogram in upper left
    field, ΣΠ-I below and in right field
    Ref.: SNG Copenhagen 1538; SNG von Aulock 1823; Klein 367; Babelon, Perses 380
    Ex Ryro Collection

Very little is known about the life of Spithridates other than that he was a Persian noble and that he was entrusted with the important Satrapies of Lydia and Ionia in around 334 BC. Like many other Persian satraps of the region he issued local coins as needed from various mints in his territory. Because the Persians did not share the Greek taboo against placing the likeness of a living person on coins we get to actually see a portrait of this otherwise relatively obscure ancient person on this coin.

Spithridates enters the pages of history as the person who almost single-handedly stopped the conquests of Alexander the Great before they even began. The first major battle between the Persians and Macedonians happened on May 3, 334 BC at the Battle of Granicus. According to the account of Arrian, Alexander led a charge of the Companion Calvary against the Persian center. Spithridates was among the horse-mounted Persian nobles who led a counterattack against this charge. During this counterattack Alexander was stunned by a blow to the helmet and Spithridates moved in from behind to strike a killing blow. It was only the timely intervention of Cleitus the Black who moved in and cut off Spithridates outstretched arm that saved Alexander’s life. Spithridates later died of this wound.

This coin and the person it was struck for serve as an interesting reminder that the distance between spectacular success and catastrophic failure is not as great as we sometimes think.

1686318F-4545-4620-803E-01EA13F6788F.jpeg
    An map showing the Battle of Granicus. Note the Macedonian Cavalry charge into the Persian center where Spithridates almost killed Alexander.

Defeated by a Wave
    CA92067A-0CBB-4EA1-A4F6-7B6EE83AD9A6.jpeg
    Seleukid Kingdom
    Diodotos Tryphon
    AE17, Antioch mint, struck ca. 142-139 BC
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Wt.: 4.8 g
    Obv.: Diademed head of Tryphon right
    Rev.: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ TPYФΩNOΣ AYTOKPATOPOΣ to right and left of a Macedonian helmet left, adorned with ibex horn. Star in lower left field
    Ref.: BMC Vol. IV 11-12; Babelon 1052; Hoover HGC 1061; Houghton SC 2034.2e
    Ex Ryro Collection, Ex David@PCC

Diodotos Tryphon was a rebel leader who managed to gain control of the entire Seleucid Empire in 139-138 BC. He was able to capitalize on discontent toward the rule of Demetrius II to seize parts of the empire, including Apamea and Antioch by 142 BC. He was later able to seize control of the entire empire when Demetrius II was captured by the Parthians in 139 BC.

The coins of Tryphon are interesting because they are noticeably different than other Seleucid coins. The helmet reverse in particular is unusual on Seleucid issues. This is just one of the ways in which Tryphon tried to distance himself from the Seleucid dynasty in order to mark a clear break in kingship.

One of the most fascinating stories about Tryphon is the strange way in which he lost a substantial portion of his army. While he was marching along the coast of Phoenicia after a victory over a general loyal to Demetrius II, his army was engulfed in a huge tidal wave that swept a substantial number of his men out to sea. This may have taken place in or around 139 BC. If so, the losses to his army may have contributed to his subsequent defeat at the hands of Antiochus VII. Depending on the source Tryphon either committed suicide, or was captured and executed in 138 or 137 BC.

21068F42-966F-45C9-AB62-ADE07CDDA7D1.jpeg
    The Levantine coast in modern Israel. Perhaps it was on a stretch of coastline such as this that Tryphon’s men were surprised by the great tidal wave.

A Lost Myth
    7DBEA6DA-1E22-4C26-94DC-A07B865B8E70.jpeg
    PISIDIA, Etenna
    AE19, Etenna mint, struck ca. 1st century BC
    Dia.: 19.3 mm
    Wt.: 3.32 g
    Obv.: Naked nymph/woman standing to front, legs crossed, entwined by serpent; at her feet to left, a vase.
    Rev.: E-T, sickle-shaped knife.
    Ref.: SNG Cop 146
    Ex Minotaur Coins

Perched up in the beautiful mountains of southwestern Anatolia, the little town of Etenna rarely made it into the history books. The town supplied hoplites to support rebels against the Seleucid Empire in the 3rd century BC and was the seat of a bishopric in the 4th century AD. Other than that we have only the coins to suggest the rich culture of its people.

This is a neat YouTube video I found showing the unexcavated ruins of ancient Etenna neat Syrt in modern Turkey.

Etenna struck coins from the 4th century BC till the 3rd century AD. Most of the types seem to be related to a well known (foundation?) myth that has since been lost to history. I think it’s amazing to think that for 700 years a story was well known enough to serve as the symbol of a city and yet that story is completely lost to us today.

It is possible to guess at some of the details of the story by looking at the coins.

The earliest coins of the city are modeled after the staters of Aspendos except they show a warrior wielding a curved blade on the reverse (such as the blade shown on my new example). This is clearly some hero or founder of the city. On the bronze issues we see a young woman (or nymph) that is entwined by a serpent, she turns her head away and lifts her arm as if in distress. There is a vase at her feet. On the reverse of some of the bronze issues the curved blade wielding hero struggles with another figure wielding an axe.

B2E3005F-19CD-4712-B630-0FCE1C3EB52E.jpeg
    Plate showing the coins of Etenna arranged in probable relative chronology from left to right.

One possible interpretation is that the young woman was taking the vase to fetch water or to bathe when she was attacked by a serpent (she is only shown nude on some examples). This seems to be a quite probable interpretation due to her distressed posture and the vase at her feet. At that point perhaps the curved-blade wielding hero was able to come to her aid. Perhaps the hero also had to defeat the axe wielding adversary as part of the story (the snake transforms into an axe-wielding warrior / a struggle between the two warriors before the hero reaches the woman). It seems that whatever the story was it was important enough to remain central to the city’s identity, perhaps as a founding myth.

This enigmatic type is a reminder of just how many fascinating stories have been lost to time.

Please post any interesting Greek coins you’ve added recently or anything else you think is relevant.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Every coin tells a story... at least it does if it's lucky enough to be owned by @Curtisimo! :D Great post!

I have two of the three:
    spithridates.jpg
    tryphon.jpg

... and the third is on my want list!

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

You are too kind my friend. Your collection is so extensive that you always seem to have neat relevant coins to share for almost any thread.

Those are two great examples that you’ve shared as well. That Spithridates in particular is a stunner. I’m surprised these aren’t more popular coins since the story behind them is so fascinating (in a macabre loss-of-an-arm kinda way).

Ryro and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

The story of Spithridates, Cleitus the white and Alexander at the Granicus is an all time favorite:bookworm: So much going on, Alexander having slain Spithridates brother moments before and then years later would kill Cleitus. The head spins thinking of all the ramifications.
    However, during the Battle Alexander transformed himself and his legend into myth daring to be great and leading that charge and nearly dying.:jimlad:
    IMG_4417.jpg
    So glad you were pleased with that little rarity.
    And don't even get me started on Tryphon... or do!
    Here's my write up on the crafty bastard:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/di...-ancient-fail-o-king-tryphon-the-soft.344555/
    I can't stop collecting his coins. These helmets of Tryphon are just so Bad ace!:cigar: IMG_5072(1).jpg
    2061873_1626949250.l.jpg
    ... just kidding about that second one, NOT MINE. But, as you can see, collecting the coins of Tryphon is a slippery slope:blackeye:
    And that last coin is a little enigma. Best I can do is show off a few MSCs of Pisidia:
    share8020996571939975746.png IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4416(1).PNG
    Thanks for sharing my friend and great to see from you:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    TIF, Pavlos, ominus1 and 10 others like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wonderful examples as always my friend. Much like SA you also always seem to have a great and relevant example to share. Your collection of Greek bronze has become quite impressive!

I have a sub-collection of Ex CoinTalker coins and I was thinking the other day that good ol’ Spithridates would be my placeholder for the Ryro Collection. It is a tough choice though as all my Ex Ryro coins are much loved! :D

Ryro likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great weiteup, @Curtisimo ! Nice coins, and welcome to the Spithridates Club.

I have had mine a while as the story has been one of my favorites since my University class on Alexander (oh, MAN! Almost 45 years ago!)

Alexander almost lost it all at the Battle of Granicus… he was a bit hasty in his decisions and battle plan. He was lucky to win the battle, and was almost killed by Spithridates.

Persian Satrap

[​IMG]
    Persia Spithridates Achaemenid satrap of Sparda-Lydia and Ionia- 334 BCE AE10 1.20g wearing Persian headdress - Forepart galloping horse r Klein 367, Cop 1538

Comment: This is the Satrap that ALMOST killed Alexander III of Makedon (later the Great) at the Battle of Granicus. Instead Cleitus lopped off his arm just as Spithradates was lowering his scimitar onto Alexander.

Theodosius, Curtisimo, Pavlos and 9 others like this.
  8. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the vignette, @Curtisimo!

upload_2021-8-2_22-36-8.png

Greek
    Seleukid Kingdom. Antioch on the Orontes mint. Diodotos Tryphon. Circa 142/1-138 BC. AE (18 mm, 4.95 g, 1h). Diademed head of Tryphon right / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΤΡΥΦΩΝΟΣ ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΟΡΟΣ, Spiked Macedonian helmet with cheek-pieces left, adorned with ibex horn above visor; AΣK to inner left.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

good job Curtis....this is what makes coins historical & interesting :)

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice coins! And on top of that some great background as usual! It doesn't matter if it is a common or rare coin, or an expensive or cheaper coin, you always make it extra interesting.

This is my Tryphon example:
    [​IMG]
    Diodotus Tryphon (142 - 138 B.C.). Æ Denomination B/C, Antioch mint.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Tryphon right.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ TPYΦΩNOΣ AYTOKPATOPOΣ (“of King Tryphon, the Self-Empowered”); Spiked Macedonian helmet with cheek guards facing left, adorned with wild goat's horn above visor.
    Reference: SC 2034

The helmet on the reverse was actually clever 'propaganda'. Demetrios II arrived in Syria with a mercenary army and crushed Alexander I Balas near Antioch-on-the-Orontes in 145 BC. He, or the mercenary commanders who surrounded him, seem to have been concerned about the loyalty of the Syrian army to the new regime. Almost as soon as Demetrios II was on the throne he took the ill-advised step to disband and disarm the troops who had served the Seleukid house for generations.

Apamea-on-the-Orontes was the major Seleukid arsenal and military settlement in Syria, it may very well have been the place to which many of the disaffected soldiers had returned. These soldiers served as I mentioned before the Seleukid house for generations, in Macedonian style. Many of these soldiers had forefathers of the old military class that made up the Syrian army in the time of Seleukos I (and perhaps even Alexander the Great).
    Tryphon made use of these angry soldiers and proclaimed Antiochos VI as king and raised the disaffected soldiers in revolt against Demetrios II. On his coins (and even the coins of Antiochos VI, see his drachms) he put a big Macedonian helmet to show is support and affection to these disaffected soldiers (a smart move). This is how Tryphon managed to become so powerful with many followers.

Theodosius, TIF, philologus_1 and 8 others like this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

A side anecdote, cracks me up how bad ace the horns on the helmets are on these.
    Then the Romans come along and show Philip V with these silly comically small horns. Were the Romans, who often said that they would have defeated Alexander had he turned west instead of East, suffering from a case of Greek horn envy?:
    1571400_1607291685.l-removebg-preview.png
    L. MARCIUS PHILIPPUS. Denarius (112 or 113 BC). Rome.
    Obv: Head of Philip V of Macedon right, wearing diademed royal Macedonian helmet with goat horns; Roma monogram to upper left, Φ to lower right.
    Rev: L PHILIPPVS .
    Equestrian statue right; mark of value in exergue. Crawford 293/1. VF 3.99 g. 19 mm. Ex Numismatik Naumann
    Purchased Jan/2021

Voldemort, TIF, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That’s a great example with a nice portrait and perfect centering, Brian. The horse looks like it is galloping into the frame on the reverse. :)

Glad to be a member of the club. :cigar::smuggrin:

Thank you for the kind words Carl! The multiple mini write ups seemed like a good idea to get me caught up with posting at least the coins I have photographed :snaphappy::happy:.

That is a great example with nice style. Especially on the portrait! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you ominus1! I always appreciate how you take the time to read and comment on so many of the threads here, including mine. The board is lucky to have you.

Carl Wilmont likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All I have is the Tryphon:
    g92330bb2012.jpg

Voldemort, TIF, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I appreciate the compliment and the same can definitely be said of your posts as well. I always enjoy seeing a new thread from you come up on the board because I know I’ll get to see great coins and learn something!

Great Tryphon example and thank you for the in depth addition to the history of the type. I had not read the reasons for the reverse type laid out so clearly as your explanation. Thank you! I believe I also I read that the name Tryphon was meant “luxury” and implied that Tryphon was wealthy enough to compensate the soldiers properly.

Under-compensating horns or no this example is stunning and one of my favorites of yours. My guess is we will get to see this coin again during “Top 10” list time. :wideyed::D

Pavlos and Ryro like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you.

Although my Alexander the Great course was almost 45 years ago, I still vividly remember my Prof virtually acting out the Battle of Granicus and the drama of Spithridates and Cleitus the Black over Alexander. (The late Professor J. Rufus Fears).

It is all his fault! When I ran across this coin a few years ago, it was mine!

16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A big +1 here. I really couldn't have put it better myself.

Great post as usual, Curtis. I really like and have all three types. Unfortunately I haven't photographed my Spithridates. I'll also show a different Etenna I have for variety sake.

PISIDIA Etenna - Two Men and Nymph.jpg
    PISIDIA, Etenna
    AE15. 1.92g, 14.8mm. PISIDIA, Etenna, circa 1st century BC. SNG France 1533. O: Two men standing side by side; the left brandishing double-axe, the right sickle. R: ET - EN, Nymph advancing right, head left, holding serpent; amphora to left.

SELEUKID Tryphon - AE17 Serrate Helmet 3734.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGDOM. Diodotos Tryphon
    AE17. 5.51g, 17.4mm. Antioch on the Orontes mint, circa 142-138 BC. SC 2039; HGC 9, 1061. O: Diademed head right. R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΤΡVΦΩΝΟΣ / ΑVΤΟΚΡΑΤΟΡΟΣ, Spiked Macedonian helmet adorned with wild goat horns; ΑΣΚ to inner left.

Voldemort, Carl Wilmont, Bing and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted