Featured A Greek Artistic Masterpiece on Roman Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Aug 14, 2019.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...man...how did i miss this thread till now??..:rolleyes:..great write up and coin(s) @Curtisimo & all... Galenius Maxinimus follis Hercules reverse 001.JPG Galenius Maxinimus follis Hercules reverse 002.JPG Galerius Maximinus as Hercules

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Supporter! Supporter

Earlier in this thread I showed my Maximinus II HERCVLI VICTORI with weary Hercules. Since then I visited Rome and Naples:

HerculesRome1.jpg

EDIT: This statue was in the National Archaeological Museum in Naples (not in Rome as I first wrote).

ConstantineHERCVLIVICTORI.jpg

Constantine, struck c. 312
    22 mm. RIC VI -- (Nicomedia 75 is the same reverse for Maximinus II).
    Page 551 speculates why Constantine did not appear in this issue, but this example shows he really did-- it was just not known to the author of RIC VI. Similarly, CNG 49 lot 1708 is this type for Licinius, also not in RIC.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish) Supporter

Great fun! Even having seen the statue in person I am still taken aback by the size of it. It is really a fantastic piece of ancient art.

The National Museums around Termini station were a highlight of Rome for for my wife and I when we were there last year. The museum wasn’t crowded when we went even on a rainy day and the part of the museum in the Baths of Diocletian seemed almost deserted. It was like having the objects all to ourselves. :)

Nice eye recognizing the Constantine / weary Hercules. Very interesting. I was also very impressed by the coin collection and display in the museum. When we were there they had some type of power outage and the lights went off completely and it was pitch black because it’s down in a basement with no windows. We were like “holy smokes what did I touch!” Luckily the lights came back on after a while and we were able to finish viewing the amazing coins.

17CA615B-5591-4ED2-926F-C1EAC4503ED7.jpeg

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

It bothered me that this pose was so popular after Gordian but not seen earlier. A little research online turned up the statement that the big one was made for the Baths of Caracalla in 216 AD. There are Caracalla coins showing Hercules in other poses but not in this one. Was this original then or did they find an earlier one and comissioned the large scale one for the baths? More research!

6. Fugio1

Fugio1 Supporter! Supporter

Hercules is one of my favorite types. Here is my example of a Constantius Chlorus follis with hercules type. Constantius-RIC VI-40-ALE-Hercules.jpg In this pose Hercules holds the apples in front to the right, and the club is to the left. Perhaps based on an alternative ancient sculpture?

7. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

III Antoninus Pius 0922 Hercules as 7-1026.jpg A slender Hercules on a rare Pius as RIC 922 III Antoninus Pius 0922 Hercules as 7-1026.jpg

Severus Alexander, Bing and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted