a gray penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mike burkhart, Dec 5, 2022.

1. mike burkhart

mike burkhart New Member

just wanting to share this get some feed back S20221205_0022.jpg S20221205_0023.jpg S20221205_0024.jpg S20221205_0025.jpg S20221205_0026.jpg S20221205_0027.jpg S20221205_0028.jpg S20221205_0029.jpg S20221205_0023.jpg S20221205_0024.jpg S20221205_0025.jpg S20221205_0026.jpg S20221205_0027.jpg S20221205_0028.jpg S20221205_0029.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Heat can create this color. The doubling looks like machine doubling.

ifthevamzarockin likes this.
  4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Could be the result of removing the copperplating. Inspect the coin for signs of copper on the edges or elsewhere. Some cents can get through the process with partial plating or missing plating, but an unplated cent lasting 34 years in the wild without dissolving would be an accomplishment...unless stored safely for most of the period before being put back into circulation.

PamR likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Looks like the copper was removed.
    As for the doubling I agree with lDhair.
    MD
    Edit there also looks to be some tooling marks.

PamR and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

After the experiment to turn cents to silver, it was put in circulation and you now have the results? Just a thought.

PamR likes this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Here's my Mantra -

If it's dark, dull, and grey, it's been de-plated
    If it's bright and shiny, it's been re-plated

The OP's coin has been de-plated

8. mike burkhart

mike burkhart New Member

could not see copper traces anywhere, its 2.52 grams, and i found it in a gravel driveway

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like the copper plating has been removed.

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The weight is right, but difficult to be certain of the actual contributing factor for the missing copper. I figure that an authentic un-plated cent originates amongst of bag of cents of the same date/mm. Provenance might reasonably be established then. Amongst mixed cents (different dates/mms), the more likely contributor is a 'science experiment'...although remotely possible to be authentic. Age comes into play, since zinc deteriorates with moisture/exposure. Unless snagged very early before conditions like hydrozincite kick in, your coin would be rather ragged at this point. Unless, of course, it stayed hidden safe for 3+ decades before being returned to the wild.

As most of us who CRH, you are going to come across these cents. Not with great regularity, but enough so that you start to understand that these cents are probably just 'science' experiments spent after getting the grade. Finding it in a driveway would not likely be attributed the same way a coin out of a roll could be though. So, I understand the need to put the question to the group. Quite reasonable. That added bit of information may explain some of the staining we see on your specimen. Exposure to the elements.

I think that Fred's advice is pretty good though. If it's dull, it's likely a tampered coin where plating has been removed (but a remote possibility that its genuine). If it's shiny, it's almost certainly a plated coin. The original copper plating is a great flashing for a subsequent replating.

Bu unless the provenance is established, authenticity will be problematic, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted