A good night for getting coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tompkins316, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a pretty good night I had for adding some coins to my collection.

Started by going to a place near me that has a bunch of small shops in a farmers market, including 2 coin shops. The first has a lot of proofs, sets, and silver coins (almost all wayyyyy outta my price range now) but the second worked out pretty good for me. It is run by a guy who is probably older than half the coins he sells (one of the greatest and nicest guys I've ever met too). He has a lot of old coins, from an 1857 flying eagle to 1945 merc dimes. I found a few coins I liked and when I went to tell him I wanted to see a 1904 barber dime, I didn't even get barber out of my mouth and he tossed 3 amazing quality barber dimes on the counter and said "I knew you were gonna say Barber dime" lol.

I ended up getting a really nice 1911 barber dime (I'll make a thread within the next few days with pics to see what you would grade it at....my guess is probably XF-45, maybeee even AU), a 1903-O barber dime, and a 1927 standing liberty quarter. All for around $27.

Then my girlfriend told me her dad found a bunch of coins he had and wanted to give me, since he doesn't collect at all. And she adds don't get excited though its just some old small stuff nothing crazy. So I go to her house and he has a little bowl full of coins. I find about 20-25 canadian pennies (all dated before 1970, 2 from '40s, and a 1921 in great condition), and a bunch of canadian nickel, dimes, and quarters as well. So at this point I'm thinking this is cool, but yeah, she was right nothing special really. Then I notice the rest are jefferson nickels. Probably about 30-40 of them. After going through I am happy to say I found all were before 1960, including about 10 from the '50s, a bunch from the late '40s, at least 8 silver war nickels, and 2 1939. Then it gets even better. I find about 8 buffalo nickels. The first 5 I find are all dateless. Then I get a 1927, an can easily make out the 927, a 1926 (also very easily made out), and then a full date 1937 (easily has to be the clearest date I've seen on a buffalo yet.

Then, to top it all off, he hands me a plastic book thing and I open it to find a Proof St. Patrick commemorative medal, from Ireland, about the size of a morgan dollar or bigger. I read the paper to see it is made out of .999% pure Irish silver.

Needless to say I think I made off pretty well tonight :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIKES3

MIKES3 New Member

Let us see them. Sounds like it made your day. Good to hear

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I'll try to put some pics of them up tonight. Sadly, I have to work 10 hours today in a no-fun paint shop by myself :( Hopefully I'll be able to get home later and get some pics up. And yes lol it definitely did make my day. I planned on going to the market with the coin shops but only thought I'd get a couple semi-decent old coins. Didn't expect to find a barber in such good condition, or the donation from my girlfriend's dad lol

Draft saved Draft deleted