A good day at work

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

1CEDAC7C-7945-4CF5-A054-F657CF7246CA.jpeg It’s always nice to have an Oxford triple cross my desk, but when I get 6 at once......

sorry the photo isn’t better, just a quick cell phone snap.

Barry Murphy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

This has 18+ views and only 5 likes. What sup with that?
    You see these 6 Ox Triples and you don't hit the like button?
    This is a tough crowd. I'd be thrilled to hold just one in my
    hand much less have 6 staring back at me. I would love to own
    one of these but I don't swim in that part of the pool. Barry,
    I would love to have this experience. Thanks for sharing!!

Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  4. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Stunning group - very impressive set of metal you have there!

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...purdy kool Barry! :)

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

What country are these from ? What year are they ? Can we see the other side of these cool looking coins ?

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I must confess, seeing these did not automatically trigger an 'Oh, wow!!' from me. However, only because I know nothing about Charles I Unites and Triples.

I know now a little bit more after looking them up on acsearch, and now I see what you mean. Impressive!
    A total of 55 auction appearances are listed there (maybe some sold more than than once), so it does not appear to be inordinately rare, but it does fetch some high and incredible prices. So, it seems to be a very sought after type, (much like a J. Caesars denarius or a Colisseum sestertius would be among ancient collectors).

Tell us more about them, please. I only saw examples from 3 distinct years (1642, 1643 and 1644). Any other years? What is the history behind them? how many are estimated to exist?

By the way, I felt a little like this when I posted my recently acquired specimen of a Spanish Colonial Santiago mint Columnario - a very rare coin (only 5 known of the date, and only 52 examples of all dates combined). However, I do understand that not everybody knows (or cares) what they are unless you happen to be active in that collector field.

8. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I didn't photo the reverses, but they look like this (the top photo is the same coin as my bottom left photo). These typically sell for $40-80,000 give or take depending on quality. The Triple Unites were struck in 1642-1644. There were also Unites struck 1642-1646 and Half Unites struck 1642-1644. The Triples weigh approx. 26.5-28 grams and are roughly 46mm in diameter. The late 1643 and 1644 issues are slightly smaller in diameter, closer to 41mm.

Barry

oxford 1642.jpg oxford 1643.jpg oxford 1644.jpg

Pellinore, Seba79, Cucumbor and 12 others like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Very nice, considering they where struck during the English Civil War, by the Royalists side....who are loosing at this point of the War. The "Bad guys" would win out and Charles would get his head chopped off, on Cromwells orders.

DEA and longshot like this.
  10. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

While not being able to afford anything like Mr. Murphy's incredible triples, I've always had an interest in the English Civil War. Also I like large circulating coins. Thus about 4 years ago when I saw an attractive XX [20] shillings [or pound] with a clear (non-doubled) lettering at auction I bought it.

These cost about 1/10th of what the Triple Units cost and are relatively uncommon. They were made similar years: mostly in 1642 with a few in '43 and I think there's one specimen dated 1644. At the Stack's sale (Aug, 2016) this one cost me exactly 5K before commission: so a lot more affordable than the triples.

[​IMG]
    LOT DESCRIPTION
    GREAT BRITAIN. Pound, 1642. Oxford Mint. Charles I (1625-49). PCGS Genuine--Cleaning, VF Details Secure Holder.

While neither Heritage nor Stacks nor NGC list any weights, the Spinks (London) website has one silver pound listed: same year & mint at 118.02 grams. A number of other silver crowns (1/4 of a pound) of that era weigh from 29.22 to 30.02 grams so the target weight should be around 120 grams. I don't have a diameter but will measure it once I visit the SD box. The "cleaning" described on the slab didn't leave hairlines to my recollection but the toning is a bit lighter than otherwise would be expected.

At one point I thought that Charles I minted these as he was having difficulty procuring gold for coinage but the gold triples refute this. My understanding is that these silver pounds were made as presentation coins for Royalist calvery commanders. Also 1642 is fairly early in the war and fortune at this time was favoring the Royalists.

This particular piece is described as "ex-Rye collection" on the slab but I've been unable to identify what the "Rye collection" is. British isn't a collecting specialty for me, but I sometime exhibit aberrant behavior for historically interesting pieces.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Cucumbor, nicholasz219, Nap and 2 others like this.
  11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Gallienus Several years ago CNG auctioned off parts of the Rye
    collection. The part that interested me was Early Dated medieval
    coins. I won a few and lost others. Apparently Rye collected medieval
    coins as well as Greek, Roman and British. You can go to the CNG
    web site and Google "Rye".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Gallienus and panzerman like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Outstanding coins!

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Something special about big gold coins. Especially to be nearly 400 years old and survive in that kind of shape. A rare treat indeed. I don't think any coin struck for circulation can compare in U.S. numismatics.

panzerman likes this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Very true! Gold is a very soft metal, wears easily. Here is a Spanish (Chile Colonial) 8 Escudos in MS-64 and a perfect FDC (3 known)
    AV Aureus Constantius I Chlorus Ticinum Mint
    Imperial Rome IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

Pellinore, Seba79, Cucumbor and 3 others like this.
  15. SilverQueen1964

SilverQueen1964 New Member

Wow!

16. coinsleuth

coinsleuth New Member

Great looking coins!! I do not know anything about this history telling coins, glad to read and see such a special grouping.

17. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Details, all of them ;)

Nice batch

18. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Nice piece despite the cleaning, I think you did well to acquire it. Pounds are much more rare than half pounds. I am still searching for one I can afford.

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm blown away !
    My Lizzy sixpence looks so tiny and white in comparison....

Q

20. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Thanks very much Cucmbor,

Actually I think my 1st English coins were an Eliz I sixpence, 1594 VF, and an Eliz I shilling [1560-61] bought as a pair from Frank Robinson for $40 when I was a college student.

The silver pound is very impressive when viewed in person and I'm really wanting to remove it from it's slab so as to better display it. The PCGS slab is such a nice piece of plastic tho I hate to break it but maybe I should? I frequently show coins to non-collectors and the size of this is sure to get attention.

I wasn't looking for the 1/2 pound, just like many would prefer to get the Brazilian 20,000 reis of 1725-27 and not the smaller 10,000 reis, or a Barber half dollar and not a quarter.

The Gold 8 escudos in 64 is a very nice piece. I've bid on thse in the past (1751 So) but have tied for but never won one. I used a dealer to represent me and dealer representation these days is attrocious IMO.

Tho this is a common shipwreck date, it is the only chance to get a nice portrait of Ferdinand VI as he only struck non-portrait pillars in silver [I think]. Also a ms-64 is top of the line.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted