A golden mystery box...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Rudi Smits, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Rudi Smits

Rudi Smits Member

Here's my latest purchase. Vespasianus aureus.
    7.42gm
    RIC 775
    The reverse shows a Cista Mystica and 2 snakes...
    vesp.jpg vesp2.jpg

Wikipedia :
    A cista (Kiste) in the classical world was generally a casket, used for example to hold unguents or jewels. More specifically, in the Mystery cult, a cista mystica (literally "sacred chest") is a basket or chest used to house snakes. Cistae mystica were used in the initiation ceremony of the cult of Bacchus or Dionysus, as well as an early gnostic sect called the Ophites. Cistae mysticae appear on ancient Roman and Greek coins.
    Furthermore small Cistas were worked in Etruria, contained in cylindrical bronze containers for domestic use and storage of toiletries. Their faces were usually adorned engraved with figures, soldered on the top small bronze figures.
    The Cista could be realised with different materials like wicker, wood, rawhide, but above of all in metal, used from the 5th century. The Etruscans manufactured it in different qualities from the 5th century, at first in ovoid form with thrown scenes, and then in cylindrical form with engraved scenes. The handle of the lid was consisted by little structures. One of the most important city of production of Cista is Preneste, an old city of Lazio, which realised different types of Cista from the 4th century.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Beautiful coin Rudi. I own no gold cause I can't really afford them. I'll bet this one set you back a penny or two.

4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Gold and phat. I like it, I don't own anything like that but its old, gold, and over 7 grams.Well done.

Jeeze, I need to go get me some old gold....I might have to go see my friends the Kidarites, soon.

5. Rudi Smits

Rudi Smits Member

Costed me an arm and a leg... Slowly typing right now, sitting in my wheelchair... but I'm happy :D

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A real beauty!

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well-done Rudi. We often hear the expression "better in hand" when it comes to coins, but nothing feels better in your hand than gold!

8. Rudi Smits

Rudi Smits Member

unless you are 'goldfinger' :D

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Heh - yeah. Come to think of it, my wife feels better in hand than any of my coins, but your aureus ain't bad. :)

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Money is one thing, happiness is another thing all together. Glad your happy my friend.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

now that is NICE....dang

13. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Mother of Pearl!

I wish...

Did you not get my email on a nice gold piece for a very nice price?

Draft saved Draft deleted