A George III Double & Triple Struck

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pondering_Infinity, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Pondering_Infinity

Pondering_Infinity Active Member

Hi
    Thought I would share these two. The triple struck, which is in kinda tough shape, is really only noticeable on the Reverse.

Still pretty cool IMHO.
    Happy Collecting
    Gary DoubleTripleObv.jpeg DoubleTripleRev.jpeg

tibor, Bayern, Neal and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Cool Find !

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

How confident are you that they are legit? I'm not getting a warm fuzzy from them. Especially the detail on the hair. Doesn't seem right to me.

thomas mozzillo and JCro57 like this.
  5. Pondering_Infinity

I am confident overall. The triple struck one was a UK Ground find, it came to me green as grass. It is still retoning. The double struck was dipped in lacquer/polyurethane which I removed. It has retoned nicely. The odd thing about the double struck one is the reverse really hides it well. You can see the edge of the first strike starting at the N in NIA and then going across the legs and up to the wrist in an arch.

Both coins came from the UK.

I suppose one can never be totally confident but I am reasonably confident yes.

tibor likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

furryfrog02 and Insider like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

physics-fan3.14, posted: "Your coins look like charicatures of a real coin. I have a high degree of confidence that yours are not authentic."

But they were dug up in the ground...LOL. Usually, they are found in a dead tree stump or a "secret" drawer in an old desk.

8. Pondering_Infinity

t
    There are hundreds of varieties.... you are pointing at a "Regal" half pence.

There were as I say hundreds of "contemporaneous counterfeit" dies as well. The flans they used were lightweight, so in affect they were scaming the system.

I agree with your point, my coin not regal. That does not mean it is a "fake" in a modern sense.

Neal likes this.
  9. Pondering_Infinity

Neal likes this.
  10. Pondering_Infinity

Correction, one was... and trust me when I tell you, I can tell if that were being faked. Restoring ground finds is a passion of mine.
    1787CTBeforeAfter.jpg 4M_BeforeAfter2.png FlintBeforeAfter.jpg

11. Hookman

WoW !! Good job on those flintlock restorations.

12. Pondering_Infinity

Thanks... I even got the Frizzen to move again.. as you can note its change in position in the before after

13. Hookman

Yes, I can. Great Job.

Draft saved Draft deleted