A friendly reminder- Be careful and know what you bid on.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LM3012, Apr 25, 2018.

1. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

Just thought I would post a friendly reminder, when bidding on or buying second hand coins, it really pays to do your homework and know what you are bidding on, and to scrutinize what you receive.

Remember that often things that seem too good to be true are, even if you do get lucky and find a killer deal sometimes.

Recently I won a bid on an estate sale auction for a 20 Reales Spanish Silver coin from a seller with a lot (thousands) of feedback, all positive. The price was reasonable, pictures clear, return policy in place, and description said "guaranteed authentic." Felt like a safe bid for an interesting item.

I got it in the mail quickly and opened it up, and it looked great as pictured condition-wise at first, but I just felt like something in the luster was off, so I decided to investigate further. Checked out the official specs of what the coin should be based on NGC/PCGS records and found that the diameter was slightly off, and the coin was a full 6g under the weight that the mintage is supposed to be.

Anyway, I was able to send it back because of the return policy and will soon get my money back. I don't blame the seller necessarily, everyone makes errors, and with the feedback they have I'd give the benefit of a doubt that they really didn't know.

All I'm saying is do your homework, look for items you can return if necessary- especially if you're not 100% sure of anything, and be vigilant in your collecting.

Just my thoughts and experience on the subject, feel free to post your own or if you agree or disagree for any reason. Have a good day, all

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I have one of the fakes as well. sounds about the same mine was a 8 I think.22.? grams it was in a collection I bought so I kept it for the next %^&er er I mean a person that wants to buy a fake, LOL

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Be careful with your change of wording on what I could guess to be a not very nice word.

5. abuckmaster147

[​IMG]

6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Oh a fisher? Ok!!!!

7. abuckmaster147

That is a pic of a Sucker fish,We used to go sucker spearing when I was younger and fill up burlap bags of them and make sucker casserole . I don't eat them myself because they are bottom feeders like Carp.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There are 3 types of coin collectors:

1. Those that have bought fakes
    2. Those that will buy fakes
    3. Those that bought fakes but don't know it yet

abuckmaster147, rooman9 and LM3012 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted