--A Four Gram Denarius of Septimius Severus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

To be more precise, a 3.94 gram denarius of 19/18 mm---the size within the usual range, but the weight seemingly atypical for this period. I was drawn to the coin because of the overall eye-appeal--- it's well-centered and has a cool reverse. The 'unusual weight' for a denarius struck at Rome in 208 AD seemed to be an added 'treat'.

In any case, I have long been aware that silver denarii were continually debased during the Severan reign ultimately leading to the introduction of the 'Antoninianus' by Caracalla. If the following excerpt is at all accurate, then this specific denarius seems to be something of an anomaly for that specific time period?? Of course, I may just be making 'much ado about nothing', considering the weight range often ran from less than 2 grams to well over 3 grams.

QUOTED EXCERPT:

"In order to maintain his enlarged military he debased the Roman currency drastically. Upon his accession he decreased the silver purity of the denarius from 81.5% to 78.5%. However, the silver weight actually increased, rising from 2.40 grams to 2.46 grams. Nevertheless, the following year he debased the denarius substantially because of rising military expenditures. The silver purity decreased from 78.5% to 64.5% — the silver weight dropping from 2.46 grams to 1.98 grams. In 196 he reduced the purity and silver weight of the denarius again, to 54% and 1.82 grams respectively.[75] Severus' currency debasement was the largest since the reign of Nero, compromising the long-term strength of the economy."[76]

As always, please feel free to comment and please post any coin you feel is in anyway remotely related.......Jupiter hurling thunderbolts perhaps:)

AR Denarius of Septimius Severus 193-211 AD., - SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right / P M TR P XVI COS III P P, Jupiter standing right, leaning back preparing to hurl a thunderbolt and holding a scepter(3.94 grams, 19/18 mm) Rome mint 208 AD., RIC IV 216 RSC 501

sept sev jupiter hurling.JPG

Jwt708, gregarious, stevex6 and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Weight aside, the style is superb.

I do have one nice portrait of his.

Septimius Severus Neptune denarius.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice find, I love the heavier denarii.

I have a few heavy ones. None reach near 4g though. I have seen them though.

[​IMG]
    Gordian III (238 - 244 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: SECVRITAS PVBLICA Securitas seated left on throne, holding scepter and resting head upon hand.
    3.81g
    18mm
    Rome, 240 A.D.
    RIC IV 130; RSC 340

[​IMG]
    Orbiana (225 - 227 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: SALL BARBIA ORBIANA AVG, draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA AVGG,Concordia seated left holding double cornucopia and patera.
    Rome
    19mm
    3.8g
    RIC IV 319, RSC III 1, BMCRE VI 287, SRCV II 8191

Heavy and good silver for the emperor/time.

[​IMG]
    Gallienus (253 - 268 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: IOVI CONSERVA, Jupiter standing left, head turned right, holding scepter in right and thunderbolt in left.
    5.1g
    24mm
    RIC 143F (Rome) Sear 10237

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Mikey Zee , you Denarius weight is as it SHOULD be in the Republic Era! :D Great SeptSev, and nice that you have a HEAVY one.

Here is my pedestrian version:

RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The earlier ones are on the wimpy side, but I believe they grew in weight by the time the OP coin was minted. What is the reason? Did Severus have to stretch his silver for his campaigns against Niger and Albinus?

Paul M. and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a really attractive denarius, Mikey. I'm not sure how far out of the norm the weight of your coin is, but it pips the one I have below by 0.01g.

Lot - Septimius Severus genius.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius. 3.93g, 19.4mm. Rome mint, AD 208. RIC 220. O: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right. R: P M TR P XVI COS III P P, Genius, naked, standing left, sacrificing out of patera in right hand over garlanded and lighted altar, left, and holding cornucopia in left hand.

According to my catalog, I have one of the earlier (circa AD 197) ones with the compact dumpy flans that weighs 4.08g, but I don't seem to have it photographed. Yeah, I know... pics or it didn't happen :shame:.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

SS looks rather happy @Mikey Zee. The portrait is quite nice. This may be my nicest Rome portrait of SS. Won BOT over on FAC. Looks like he had spoolies in both hair and beard. Septimius Severus 7.jpg

9. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Sweet posts everyone!!:)

That is a gorgeous example @zumbly!!! Incredible eye-appeal !!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Wow! One of the best S. Severus denarii I've seen in this forum. Talk about eye appeal overload.

zumbly, Paul M. and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Closest I can do is this Emesa which I have recorded as 3.9g. The scales I used then only did tenths and the coin is in the bank so I can't check it now. This is one of the obverse spelling oddities that Martin has posted before. I wondr if his are heavy, too.
    rg2600bb1448.jpg

13. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Mine is only 3.15 grams, from 201 AD

sepsev.jpg

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm not trying to be competitive, but since I mentioned yesterday the > 4g denarius that I still hadn't photographed, guess which coin ended up on today's photography list :).

Firstly, I had to weigh it again, just to be sure. This time, it came in a mite lighter at just 4.05g...

Septimius Severus - Fortuna 1174 weight.jpg

And, well... looking at the coin again, I suppose the dirt on it could account for 0.1g or so. But hey, if it's ancient dirt then it's legal, right? :D

Septimius Severus - Fortuna 1174.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius. 4.05g, 16mm. Rome mint, AD 197. RIC IV 104. O: [L] SEPT SEV PERT AVG IM[P VIIII], laureate head right. R: [P M T]R P V COS II P P, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder set on globe in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted