A Flurry of Recent Purchases

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 2, 2015.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Well, I had been saving up for a nice Lifetime issue of an Alexander Tet, but there were a few coins that I came across that I couldn't resist. So, I'm back to start on the Alexander coin, but I think I hit upon some nice coins to tide me over - and a no-prize award for whoever can guess the set I'm trying to put together! (Still putting together full attributions - didn't want to wait to share...)

Alexander AE.jpg
    Bronze Alexander - this will act as a place holder until I get that Tet, but it was a cheap buy from ValiantKnight, which I can bring into my classroom and let the kids handle.

Constantinopolis.jpg
    Another purchase from ValiantKnight - Commemorative celebrating the city of Constantinople

Ashoka.jpg
    Mauryan Empire stamped silver, showing the stamp of King Ashoka

Han Wudi.jpg
    A Chinese Wu Zhu - The seller attributed it to the reign of Emperor Han Wudi. I would like this to be the case, but these are so difficult to attribute to the right time that I am skeptical. At the very least, this coin acts as representative of the type of coins which were first being cast during Wudi's Reign.

Darius to Xerxes CNG.jpg
    Still awaiting the arrival of this coin (so these are the seller's pictures - obviously much nicer than my own!). A Persian Siglos from the time of Darius I to Xerxes II (485-420 B.C.). I'm quite pleased with this one, and love the counter stamps. looking forward to getting this one in hand!

Those are all the new ones! For good measure, this coin was already in my collection, but serves as a part of the set I'm putting together:
    Menander I.jpg
    Bactrian Kingdom
    Menander I, 1165/55-130 B.C.
    AR Drachm, 13mm x 2.4 grams
    Obverse: His Laureate Bust right
    Reverse: Athena Alkidemos advancing left, hurling thunderbolt and raising shield

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice mix of coins FN!

i have a few of these types..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the persian and bactrian are sweet!

dlhill132, stevex6, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A very nice eclectic mix!

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very cool coins. I like the variety.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I really like that Meander I.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks guys! They are quite a mix, but there is a particular theme behind them all... No one care to hazard a guess?

8. John Anthony

They're coins!

Thank you, thank you very much. :)

I don't know, but there seems to be a Near-Eastern ball game going on, except the Chinese coin is playing deep into right field.

Jwt708, stevex6 and FitzNigel like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I noticed the large noses...even on Ashoka and Han WuDi, as well as John's Avatar...

FitzNigel likes this.
  10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very cool newp's Fitz, i think the theme that you got going is,

1. The Alex coin, Stevex , Tif
    2. LRB coin,JA
    3.Stamp coin Me, chrismat
    4.Chinese coin, Chrismat.
    5. Persian siglos, Jw
    6.Menander, Masternoob.

So you want to be like "us":p

Jwt708, Ancientnoob and FitzNigel like this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Lol - of course! But I think JA is on a closer track to my ultimate goal...

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a fun mix of coins. It looks like you're working on a one coin per ancient civilization collection.

TIF likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice interesting mix of coins, Fitz.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't collect ancients, yet so I have no idea what you're talking about. Looking at the coins you posted, I think you got some good ones. That last one has a hole in it, if you didn't notice.:)

Jwt708, stevex6 and FitzNigel like this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Not quite Zumbly - JA's still closer.

As for the 'theme,' CN - I'm just trying to convey that there is a relationship between these coins, and a reason I am collecting them (rather than, say, Roman Republican Denarii)

16. John Anthony

Places Marco Polo visited? Although the coins would have been long out of circulation by his time, except for maybe the Chinese cash.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ooo... JA gets closer, but is right that these coins would not have been used in Polo's lifetime.

18. John Anthony

Has to be the ever-popular Silk Road then.

stevex6 and FitzNigel like this.
  19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That'd be it! I. Trying to put together the history of the Silk Road in coins - my focus right now is the foundation of the Silk Road, but will be looking to later items that are relevant (such as the Constantinople commemorative...)

Enjoy the No-Proze JA - you earned it!

Jwt708 and chrsmat71 like this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a great theme!

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You're treading dangerous ground. Before you know it you'll pick one up, just to have, and then you'll see another you wish you would have bought so you'll buy it...Before you know it you'll lose interest in your other collections!

Bing, Collecting Nut and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted