A first for me - Show Grading - Guess the grade part 3 of 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, May 4, 2022.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Part 1 & 2 is now in the books; check it out here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-first-for-me-show-grading-guess-the-grade-part-1-of-5.395975/

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-first-for-me-show-grading-guess-the-grade-part-2-of-5.396102/

Now we move on.

Please guess the original grade and the new grade (originally NGC and now PCGS). Are they the same or different?

Here I am including two photos (a PCGS TrueView and a photo from the seller).

Note: what looks like a lamination or some other "artifact" under the O and L of "Dollar" on the reverse of the PCGS TrueView is not actually on the coin; I'm not sure how that got on the photo (maybe something fell on the coin or was on the camera).

zzx1.jpg

[​IMG]

Abramthegreat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

MS67*?

ddddd likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Original: 65
    New: 66

ddddd likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

7. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

MS66*

OBV MS66
    REV MS67*

Old holder MS66

ddddd likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

66* to 67

ddddd likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

MS66
    MS66*

ddddd likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

MS66 to MS67

ddddd likes this.
  11. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

MS65 to MS65. Since they've graded 285,266 coins for 1881-S, I'm just guessing that they're tough on them. That thing under OL is odd, looks like a thin piece of plastic wrap maybe.

ddddd likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

65 - 65

ddddd likes this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Original was MS 65. It got the color bump to 66. I just don’t see them going 67 on that date, although the coin is beautiful. 1881s coins are brutally graded.

ddddd likes this.
  14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

66-67

ddddd likes this.
  15. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

66* to 66+, what a monster-toned Reverse!

ddddd likes this.
  16. Morgandude11

Close. The actual picture shows strong toning. The TrueView shows an over saturated reverse, that is monster toned. It has beautiful toning, but my bet is that it is more like the photos than the beauty contest picture. Since it was originally a fatty, I figured no star. In a modern NGC holder it would have been reverse mounted, with a star. That is also why I think it only got a 65 from NGC, as why would it have been submitted to PCGS if it were 66* or 67?

ddddd and longshot like this.
  17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at 66* by NGC. I think it was one of their early stars they gave out. I could see it getting 66+ from PCGS. 67 is very tough from PCGS with the marks on Liberty's cheek. Stunning Morgan either way!

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  18. Morgandude11

No reason to submit a 66* with that level of color, if it graded that high. I could sell an NGC 66* for big money, if it had graded high,especially a fatty.

ddddd and chascat like this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

*Grade reveal below*

Here is the video:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYLA0QHUrH/

I consider it near-monster status (high end). The colors are wonderful in hand and this is my favorite reverse toner. It was never in a fatty. It was in a pre-prong (2004-2008 era) NGC holder. That one was MS 65 star; I cracked it as the coin was on par with a 67 that I owned and sent it to NGC several years ago. They gave it the same 65 star. I sat on it and submitted to PCGS in the show sub and they also called it a 65. I'm disappointed as I thought it was a minimum of a 66. Both NGC and PCGS have been conservative and did not want to reward the color with a bump. The only major disturbance is a few reeding marks on the cheek and they seem to blend in (aren't very noticeable). This is a technical 65 regardless of the color.

expat and longshot like this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I was actually at 65 and stayed at 65. Before I read your reveal. Anything else it’s a 66. Other than an 80-81-s

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted