A first for me - Show Grading - Guess the grade part 1 of 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Apr 30, 2022.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

For those that read my show report, you may have caught the part about show grading.
    This was my first ever show submission. I had a few coins I just didn’t want to mail and wait several months on. I also had read reports that show grading can bring different results (sometimes favorable) and I wanted to test that theory out (the $130k Franklin was a show sub, so one can dream right :D). I paid the tuition of $70 per coin on five coins and had my PCGS results the next day. At least it was quick! I'm still waiting on photos but will still begin part 1 as that one had a TrueView photo from the last time it was graded (not by me).

Please guess the original grade and the new grade (originally PCGS and now PCGS). Are they the same or different?

Here I am including two photos (a PCGS TrueView and a photo from the seller).

zxz.jpg zxz2.jpg

This one also has a video available at the link below:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CakcZe3O5Zw/

longshot and jtlee321 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

MS-62 ? Guessing. New grade MS-64. Many hits on the cheek... I love the toning. Wow! :cool:

ddddd likes this.
  4. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

A nice coin...a split-grade of old...say 63/65 and while logic says average of 64...the rule now is, or was, and not sure how much they adhere to this anymore...that split-sides should yield no better than the least of the two...so will say 63. The toning might change that, one grader or company to another.

ddddd likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think the original grade was a 64. The coin has clean surfaces, with minimal bagmarks, except for the cheek. The reverse is a perfect gem condition 65 or better. Obverse is very close to 65. I am going to say that it originally graded at 64, and with the very attractive toning, it got a toning and show bump up to 65. The cheek marks prevented it getting a 65, originally. Upon being resubmitted, it got the 65.

ddddd likes this.
  7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Very beautiful!! I think it originally graded 63+ and it was blessed with a 64 at the show. I think the reverse is very clean, but the marks on Liberty's cheek and in the field under her chin are the biggest grade detractors here. It's a split between a 63 and a 64 for me.

Morgandude11 and ddddd like this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

64 to 64+

ddddd likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I will take a look in the morning, It's beautifully toned even if it was assisted to a contagious environment. I am on the fence.

ddddd likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Ready for that look now? :p

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll extend this another day to give more people a chance to guess and as I continue to wait for photos for the rest.

12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'll go extreme and say it was originally UNC Details - Questionable Color and is now MS64. Guesses don't cost anything except my stellar reputation for grading from images (joke).

Morgandude11 and ddddd like this.
  13. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

Original grade MS62

OBV MS62*
    REV MS64

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

And the reveal:

Unc Details Cleaned before and still the same (no change).

k1.jpg

longshot and jtlee321 like this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I asked two different dealers at the show their opinion on the coin.
    One of them saw a minor wipe on the reverse (that's what he speculated caused the cleaned designation). The other had a different view: he said the obverse likely had a minor cleaning a while ago and then someone attempted to hide that. I'm not sure what really happened but I still find the coin very attractive-the color really pops and it is an uncommon date for nice color.

jtlee321 likes this.
  16. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! :)

ddddd likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Everything but the label :p

Abramthegreat likes this.
  18. Abramthegreat

19. Abramthegreat

Well, at least the toning looks ok ;)

ddddd likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I can’t believe it. Does not look like it to me.

ddddd likes this.
  21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. Looks like one that would need a real looking over in hand. Still a gorgeous looking coin.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted