a final note on the GHCC show

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Dec 4, 2016.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I had a few visitors while I was packing my exhibit. I let them hold some 150 BC coins (from my half As collection).
    my half as collection.jpg
    For being attentive listeners, they received Alexander Jannaeus Star & Anchor Prutah.
    IMG_3420[1].JPG
    IMG_3423[1].JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

The show had an excellent example of an oxymoron. The grading service tables were next to the ancient coin dealer section!
    IMG_3411[1].JPG

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Your "half as" collection doesn't really sound the way I think how you meant it

5. rrdenarius

I picked up two coins. Both are lower grade than I normally buy, but both had something I liked. The first is a denarius of Sextus Pompeius.
    DSCN0514.JPG
    DSCN0509.JPG
    Roman Imperatorial denarius, Sextus Pompeius, 42 - 40 BC
    Obv - head of Neptune tied with band, trident over shoulder[MAG.PI]VS.IMP[.ITER]
    Rev - Trophy made with all kinds of cool stuff - trident, anchor, prow stem, aplustriam, Scylla! Most of the legend is worn off, or off the flan - PRAEF.CLAS.ETOR.AE.MARI.TEX.S.C.
    3.7 grams, toned F (I might call this one G or aF), scarce

Post your navel trophy coins.

Alegandron, Johndakerftw, TIF and 8 others like this.
  6. rrdenarius

I also picked up an early struck Sextans. It is a large one at 26 grams, but it is so ugly only a mother would like it. I'd like to say it is better in hand, but that is not true. DSCN0504.JPG
    DSCN0503.JPG
    The coin has lots of surface rust / dirt. I wonder if it is a candidate for more cleaning? The details seem to be on the coin, but under the coating.
    Roman Republican Sextans, Struck, semilibral series, 217 - 215 BC
    Obv - Mercury with way cool flat hat with wings, two dots above
    Rev - Prow R, above - ROMA, below - two dots
    26 grams, 30 mm
    The seller did not grade this one. I give it a F, fine, due to features that can be seen with a lot of work. At first glance it is a lower grade.
    Cr 38/5

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats cool

Draft saved Draft deleted