A few world coins/need advice

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by George Jay, Dec 21, 2016.

1. George Jay

George Jay Member

Hey guys. I have a few coins that are in really mint condition. Wanted to know the consensus of the community if I should send them out to be graded. IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. George Jay

George Jay Member

By the way since I'm not familiar with world coins, would these be considered rare?

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

They are common coins and not exactly mint condition. Sending them out for grading would be a big waste of time and money

spirityoda and afantiques like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They are quite common in good condition because soldiers in WWII brought them home in 1945, either accidentally or as souvenirs, and at that point they stopped getting worn.

THey are silver,, but really worth less than any grading company would charge, and only in VF and EF condition. The tiny 1/12 anna is the least common but the most worn

6. George Jay

George Jay Member

Thanks for the replies. Didn't know the back story to them as far as the soldiers go. Disappointed to hear that the 1/4 rupee isn't at the low end of a AU grade considering the luster it has in natural light(pics are with flash and regular light)

7. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

A coin can have a gentle or light cleaning and still retain luster.

An AU coin would have sharper edges on the lettering and devices. If you look at the obverse on George's crown on your 1/4 rupee, for instance, you see softer worn edges on the jewels and the band beneath, the ear, etc.

Always look at the high points of the coin as they will wear first.
    Find an example on line that has been certified and compare that image to your coin-you'll begin to pick up the differences.

If you go to the coinsandcanada.com website they provide several images for each grade that exists for any of their coins. It's a great way to begin to understand grading in general. Take the visual cues provided and apply them to almost any other coin.
    Don't be disappointed with your coins-they're nice pieces but always ask yourself how a silver coin remains untoned after 80 or 150 years...
    odds are someone has cleaned it.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

if the cost of the grading is worth more than the coins value...... I would say no. all 3 coins have very high mintages so I would say no.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  9. George Jay

George Jay Member

Appreciation the advice guys!!

10. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

They are still cool coins and worth having, but yes, as others have said they are not worth the price of grading.

Draft saved Draft deleted