A few Roman Pickups

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Zohar444, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

What I realize with ancients thus far is that the selection of designs is almost infinite. Unlike the very structured Taler set, this quest is very much driven by designs that impulsively appeal to me with far less definition. I even picked up a bronze piece (last) which I never have prior.

Roman Republic. M. Herennius. 108-107 BC. AR Denarius, 19mm, 4.02gr. Obv. PIE(TA)S, diademed head of Pietas right, B below chin. Rev. M • (HE)RENNI , Amphinomus carrying his father on his shoulders. An exceptional coin with dark patina and rich in detail. Crawford 308/1a; Herennia 1. A great mythic example of filial piety, Amphinomus and his brothers rescued their parents from an eruption of Mount Aetna in Sicily. NGC graded Ch AU* 5/5, 5/5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painting presenting the Legend of the Campanian brothers who wear their parents by lava flows of Aetna - Amphinomus and Anapius with their parents by Luca Signorelli

[​IMG]

Roman Provincial. MESOPOTAMIA. Carrhae. Caracalla (198-217 AD). BI tetradrachm. 26mm, 16.13gr. Cos. IV (AD 215-217). Obv: Radiate head of Caracalla right. Rev: Eagle standing facing, looking right, holding wreath in beak; above left wing, crescent; between legs, star; in exergue, two pellets. Prieur 830. Large flan with lovely toning all around. NGC AU 5/5, 5/5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roman Empire. Julian II. 360-363 AD. BI Centenionalis. Sirmium. 21mm, 2.63 gr. Obv: Pearl-diademed, helmeted, cuirassed bust left. Rev: Votive crown. RIC 108. NGC Choice AU* 4/5, 5/5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    RaceBannon, stevex6, TIF and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

All three are beautiful coins Z. I am particular towards the Republican, but I would welcome any of them into my collection.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The Republican is very nice indeed!

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

super nice zohar...both silvers are gorgeous. that julian ii LRB is great also..neat color!

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Three more slabbed-winners, my friend ... man, you're certainly picking-up some very sweet examples (and I am a big fan of your random shotgun blast technique!)

... other than your hunt for well struck, well centered silver coins, you seem to be all over the board with your Roman rulers and/or your classic Greek choices (well done ... I am always curious to see what you've chosen)

Cheers

7. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Beautiful coins Zohar! Those coins are so nice, they are making me re-consider my policy of not buying slabbed ancients.

After all, I can always crack them out right?

8. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Steve & all - thank you for the support! If you want to see theme discipline, check out my Taler set. What is more challenging here for me is picking out the ones that balance out the qualitative factors. Slabbing helps me somewhat stay out of trouble in that respect, yet the primary decision is of course the coin itself.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Man, such amazingly detailed pieces Zohar. ;)
    I'm drooling so much now, all over my desk and... etc. :shifty:

Draft saved Draft deleted