A few rolls I put together from circulation 50 years ago!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Feb 23, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I got a V nickel and an Indian cent from change in the cafeteria at my last job. That was less than 10 years ago. It's not so much that they were still in circulation, but that they'd returned to circulation -- somebody spent them or deposited them. It happens.

LaCointessa, LakeEffect and Mkm5 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Ya know, it's kinda funny, I found probably 4 or 5 Vs in circulation, never a buffalo.

4. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

That's kinda strange how it works, ain't it?

Mkm5 likes this.
  5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Back in the 70s, picking was Wheat Cents, War Nickels, and 40 percenters, and whatever pre-65 that might show up.

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Wow, That's a long story. We had everything ever put in circulation out there waiting to be found. IHC's, Liberty Nickels, Buffalos, Barbers, anything imaginable. I got a 75-S Twenty Cent in change in the early 50's. If you had a dollar you could get a Morgan or Peace most any day at any bank. We had a network, a sort of swap club, of kids all over town that would get together and trade. Fun days.

-jeffB, MIGuy, Mkm5 and 2 others like this.
  7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Sort of off/on topic. In the 60's when I was an Altar Boy, the priests would
    let me go thru the collection for coins and I would exchange with my allowance.
    Also when I was in scouts, at the church/school there was an owner of a
    vending machine/slot machine company. Each month we had Bingo and he
    would bring a small cloth sack full of either Mercury dimes or Buffalo nickels.
    Doing this I nearly filled 5 Merc folders and 4 Buffalo folders. Found one 1921
    Merc and two 1926-s Buffalos. Good times.

CoinJockey73, -jeffB, MIGuy and 3 others like this.
  8. Inspector43

Yes, it was a good time to be collecting. There were several mom & pop stores in my neighborhood. They let me walk in and open the register to look and swap. On my way home from school I passed the shop where pinball machines and juke boxes were serviced. He let me help and I rolled coins for him. On Saturday mornings I would go down to the bank. The Tellers had to roll their own change back then. I would sit on the floor of the vault and the Tellers would bring me trays of change to count and roll. There were several other high volume operations that I had access to.

Those, the network of young collectors and some energy made it possible to fill some albums.

CoinJockey73, -jeffB, tibor and 2 others like this.
  9. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Man, you guys make me wish I lived through the 50's and 60's now! Nowadays, the kids that come to my tables at the flea market are pulling the 60's coins out of circulation, cause that's just about what you can find in your parents pocket change any more!

YoloBagels and Inspector43 like this.
  10. Inspector43

Yes, but you have a long way to go and we are just about there.

Draft saved Draft deleted