A few rare Iranian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, May 21, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Love, love, love Persian coins. The lion and sun design especially, very powerful image :)

500 dinars AH1323 (1905) - This type generally is scarce rather than rare, but this is a case for condition rarity as mint state examples such as this are few and far between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 pahlavi SH1308 (1929) - Only 789 coins of this year were minted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Medallic 5 kran (5000 dinars) AH1293 (1876) - Made as presentation pieces for the 30th anniversary of the rule of Nasir Al-Din Shah. Only a handful are known to exist. It is listed in Krause "Unusual World Coins" as X# M20. Fun fact: Krause also erroneously used the picture of this type as the plate for KM# 914, which is a type with a different design and different dates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Beautiful artsy calligraphy.

Numismat likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Very nice coins! I'll show some of mine. You'll allow, right? Lol. Mine aren't scarce or rare, but I've got some pretty cool ones. Some you can help identify and translate, too. Need a little time to round up the pictures. Be back in a bit.

Numismat likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

these are amazing.

Numismat likes this.
  6. Numismat

Would be happy to see them :)

7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I love the artistic designs on those coins

Numismat likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here's my SH1333 50 Dinars.

SH1333 50R(1).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    john65999 and Parthicus like this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here's another 50 Dinars. This one I need dated. Mine are all pretty much common loose change. I do like the designs.

50R(2)(2).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Parthicus likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Finally, a 2 Rials and a 1 Rial. Need these dated. I like the rim on the 2 Rials. 0002(5).jpg 0003(4).jpg

Attached Files:

11. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I like the OPs 3rd coin pic. But all 3 are beauts. I'm a quarter Persian so I've gravitated somewhat towards these coins. I don't have any coins below the 1950s or so. Them seem quite expensive in decent condition as you go back farther

12. Numismat

Can't really make out the whole date on the 50 dinars, the last digit looks like a 6.

The 2 rials is 1323 and 1 rial is 1324. Cool silver coins :)

eddiespin likes this.
  13. Numismat

Gorgeous example :)

spirityoda likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Nelson, is that what they're supposed to look like? Lol. That's one fine coin. Listen, get that verdigris off, it looks like it's the early type. Put acetone on it and see if it loosens with a moistened toothpick or something like that. Nobody is going to notice a thing if you're careful. It will take over the coin, though, if you don't arrest it in some way.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

I really love the first crown. I usually do not like the coins from Islamic countries and empires like Ottoman because they don't have beautiful designs like court of arms/city views but mostly just writings on their coins. This one is an exception. I once tried to buy a similar 500 dinars on ebay and was denied saying Coins from Iran are blocked for UK buyers (This was before i changed my ebay region from UK to US).

16. Numismat

Silly ebay rules. I really believe numismatists and the like should get a pass on whatever the political atmosphere may be at the moment. Our business has nothing to do with that, we just want to collect remnants of history regardless of what the current spin might be.

Hookman likes this.
  17. Numismat

Great advice. My example had verdigris spots on the reverse when I got it. Acetone treatment did the trick. The dark spots in the reverse picture were green before that. Would have been much worse had I let it keep rotting.

18. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I wouldn't have surmised that coin was "mint state" as you say. Was the quality of production of these pretty poor? And, you say scarce -- as in, what was the mintage? Just curious.

Hookman likes this.
  19. Numismat

Yes the quality wasn't the best at the time, but the coin doesn't have any wear and actually has some faint luster left.
    Posted mintage is 130k, but they are very hard to find in this condition. This is the case for all denominations with this design, as well as nearly all other silver coins struck under Muzaffar al-Din Shah.

20. ENGLEBERT ROY

ENGLEBERT ROY New Member

21. ENGLEBERT ROY

ENGLEBERT ROY New Member

22EAE0BA-4F20-4788-A2F8-71F180F637D4.jpeg D4A8FC98-C889-4DCB-BC1E-070C4A327928.jpeg I have one of those, but unfortunately, mine seems to be a forgery. There seems to be a gap on the edge. What do you guys think? I guess this is for everyone’s situational awareness that there are fakes of this type of coin out there. I have several other Iranian coins though, which I will share later. A few of them I’m not sure about.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Parthicus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted